Thread: Just a tip...

Just a tip...

You bought a very fine rifle, so don't skimp on the ammo......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

it's time to change the air in my head

Are you trying to tell me that those super-special, extra-hot hand loads on eBay that are guaranteed to kill anything on the planet for just $0.79 each might not be a good deal?

(damn that's a long sentence!)
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I ran across a weatherby at a good price about 6 months ago It shoots the 300 Magnum. I'll probably never get to use it on an animal but I couldn't resist it for the price. I figured you could hunt some big animals with that.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Man, I learned a few things on this one, my friends. Though I do like, "It usually works."

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I ran across a weatherby at a good price about 6 months ago It shoots the 300 Magnum. I'll probably never get to use it on an animal but I couldn't resist it for the price. I figured you could hunt some big animals with that.
    Do yourself a favor, leave it in the safe----talk about a wallop
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Do yourself a favor, leave it in the safe----talk about a wallop
    And if it's a Weatherby magnum as opposed to a WinMag, it's even more of a wallop to the pocket...Ouch!......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    And if it's a Weatherby magnum as opposed to a WinMag, it's even more of a wallop to the pocket...Ouch!......Ben
    And that my friend, was a big reason that I never became a big fan of Weatherby calibers.

I have a friend who is a leading member of the Weatherby cult---in his mind a 300 Weatherby mag is the min. for hunting whitetail.

Luckily he is far more of an arm chair hunter than a woods hunter. The only time I ever actually hunted with him was on a wild boar hunt----I had to finish off one (with a 308 Win) he only wounded with one of his cannons

He once faulted me rather endlessly for telling him I was taking my beloved 7 mm Rem Mag on a moose hunt. He showed me that mathematically, I would not be capable of killing a bull moose with such a "pea shooter". When I got back and told him that I had taken a nice bull moose----with ONE shot and he went down were he stood at about 150 yards, he was unphased. That simply could not have happened---his math told him so

I never needed more than one shot to take anything I ever shot with that rifle---I also never actually recovered a bullet from anything I killed, they either blew up or continued on.

I have to admit there was a bit of luck in how the moose was positioned. He was facing me (and looking at me) and up hill above me, maybe 100' in elevation. He was also at the crest of the hill and if he moved he would likely go out of sight. The bullet entered almost centered on his chest and traveled up and exploded in his spine---lights out