Thread: Deer down

Deer down

We have had a very weird deer season up here. The first three weeks of the season, it was 60 degrees or more during the day. Normally, it is in the 40s. And dry. I felt as if I was blowing a bugle every time I walked in the woods, it was so noisy with dead dry leaves. Most years, the deer are bred within a few days of November 14 so the woods are active in the week to 10 days ahead of that, with boy deer looking for girl deer to make the beast with two backs. Not this year. They were in summer behavior mode - just kind of wandering around, not interested in each other - right up to last week, when we finally got some snow. Still, just a faint stirring of the deer loins, apparently. Not a hard rut or anything.

I had just about given up on the season and yesterday, decided to stay in the house, drink some coffee, hang out in my pajamas when two doe went through the back on the hill behind us. Big fat girls, very healthy.
    About 15 minutes later, another doe comes back through from the direction these two had gone and then came the second. Only it wasn't the second - it was a buck. It was far enough away for me to not be sure of the rack through the branches but it acted like a buck and the doe acted as if she were in heat. So I got my 30-06 and went upstairs to my back window and slid the top half down, put the cross hairs on the deer and waited to be sure of the sex and the shot.

It turned broadside to me, I saw it was a buck and fired. Eight pointer, about 150 lbs. gutted, so about 180+ on the hoof. Nice fat deer.

So as it turns out, for all my woodcrafty-ness, all my camo, sitting out in the snow and cold, all I really needed to do was sit in my living room watching GMA and sip coffee in my pjs and slippers. Nice deer blind ya got here, Kev. Fireplace, recliner, coffee perking away...

End of the story - my neighbor and I are sharing the deer. Too much meat for me by myself and my family doesn't favor it and his does, so everyone wins. One day, maybe, I'll fulfill my dream of shooting a deer out my bathroom window after morning ablutions but this was close!!!

I hope you all had a great holiday!!

A friend of mine was busy mind his store all through hunting season. Saw him on the second to last day of the season, he said he was finally getting the day off and going out the next day. Wish him good luck and hoped he find one. So go into the Western Auto store the next day shortly after 8 AM or so and there he is working. Figured he didn't get a chance to go. Made some small talk while checking out and said guess you didn't get the chance to go. He laughed and said you'll never believe it but as I was getting out of the truck to open the gate there stood this buck. Grabbed my rifle and shot him before he saw me. Dragged him about the short distance to the truck and was home about almost as soon as I left. Best day ever hunting.

Sometimes you just get lucky.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    ... and waited to be sure of the sex and the shot.
    So much could be done with that phrase, but alas - this ain't the Bilge......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Congratulations Kevin.

I don't shoot my "pets" If I did, my wife would shoot me---and my kids would announce it to all the world because I don't allow them to shoot them either

I have to get way from home and shoot other peoples pets
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Doesn't get much better than that Kevin. It's almost having the DoorDash of deers. I have them around my house all the time but I'm not going to fool with them. Don't care much for venison. Around this time of year the bucks disappear.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Kevin did well.

I enjoyed going on hunts with my Father and Brother. For me, the best hunts occurred when Dad failed to bag a deer. I simply enjoyed their company.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead