Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still there---still killing

Still there---still killing

I have not posted this in a long time---but it hasn't stopped and I have never seen the daily deaths even close to dropping below 300/day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	18 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	39270

I have to wonder how many were unvaccinated
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The flu is also terrible this year.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I got my "high dose" flu shot at the same time I got my last COVID booster (5 total shots).
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I took high dose also. I've been taking the flu shot every year for over 20 years and so far so good.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

A care center where a relative lives shuts down visiting when residents have an infectious disease. They closed again this week 'cause of Covid. We (outsiders) mask up to visit there - which reminds me how this epidemic is continuing.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

On the upside, a yearly death rate of around 40K puts it into flu territory, which is phenomenal given the deadliness of this virus when it first hit. I am in awe of our scientists and health care workers, for coming up with an effective vaccine and figuring out how to keep more people alive who wind up in the hospital. I think of how isolated I was when this first hit, how frightened I was of anyone coming within 10 feet of me, and now I pretty much move through my world unhindered, with the knowledge that since I am vaccinated, if I get this, I'll be inconvenienced, not dead. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    On the upside, a yearly death rate of around 40K puts it into flu territory, which is phenomenal given the deadliness of this virus when it first hit. I am in awe of our scientists and health care workers, for coming up with an effective vaccine and figuring out how to keep more people alive who wind up in the hospital. I think of how isolated I was when this first hit, how frightened I was of anyone coming within 10 feet of me, and now I pretty much move through my world unhindered, with the knowledge that since I am vaccinated, if I get this, I'll be inconvenienced, not dead. Amazing.
    I feel exactly the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I am in awe of our scientists and health care workers, for coming up with an effective vaccine and figuring out how to keep more people alive who wind up in the hospital.
    I'm one of those people who got out of the hospital alive, and I wholeheartedly agree......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Add me to that----while I got it in July it was a minor rough patch in the road---for two days

I'm thinking Covid will morph for a while, because not all countries have the same opportunities we have of getting the shots. Seeing what's happening in China is a good example since it's still spreading.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

And this in my morning mail:

Observers appear to have been surprised both by the rapid spread of the protests and by the relatively restrained response of authorities, who usually crack down on political protest fast and hard. Those observers note that the country’s zero-Covid policy has meant seemingly unending lockdowns, causing extraordinary hardship for ordinary citizens with no end in sight, even as cases in the country are at an all-time high and rising.
    China’s approach to Covid has also exacerbated a harsh downturn in the Chinese economy. Its government focused on mass testing and isolation facilities to keep the virus away rather than on effective vaccines and new hospitals to treat those infected, locking itself into a policy that now appears unsustainable.
    Observers attribute the protests to frustration over the lockdowns, concern over the economy, and even the World Cup, which has given the Chinese audience a look at more open and free societies outside China.
    While these protests are unusual because of the many different factions that are working together—workers, students, rural protesters, and so on—scholars of China say it is far too early to make predictions about what will come next.

Long COVID just might play out the worst with our school children as academic decline. The ones who lost the greatest were those who were already struggling in under performance.

I haven't seen a clear approach to reverse this problem.

I'm curious if my take on this is correct or not. It appears that those infected with Covid who died seemed to go downhill really fast. But, if they can quickly get treatment up front and make it through the first week, they generally do well.

May those afflicted beat this scourge.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Update---going the wrong way:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	39389

I saw a news piece a day or two ago stating that one of the government health organizations is claiming Covid deaths were over counted by possibly 50%.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke