Thread: Gina Lollobrigida

Gina Lollobrigida

Died at the age of 95---may you RIP

For you youngins:

Italian actress Gina Lollobrigida, one of the biggest stars of European cinema in the 1950s and '60s, has died at the age of 95.

Often described as "the most beautiful woman in the world", her films included Beat the Devil, the Hunchback of Notre Dame and Crossed Swords.

She co-starred alongside the likes of Humphrey Bogart, Frank Sinatra, Rock Hudson and Errol Flynn.

Her career faded in the 1960s and she moved into photography and politics.

Nicknamed La Lollo, she was one of the last surviving icons of the glory days of film, who Bogart said "made Marilyn Monroe look like Shirley Temple".

Movie mogul Howard Hughes showered her with marriage proposals. Off camera, she enjoyed a feud with fellow Italian star Sophia Loren.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Wow! If I'd been asked, I would have guessed she had passed two or three decades ago. RIP.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Of the better known Italian actresses of that era, that leaves Claudia Cardinale still alive at 85...She's still making movies...RIP Gina......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

OH---you forget my dear friend the lovely and seductive Sophia Loren She is now 85
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    OH---you forget my dear friend the lovely and seductive Sophia Loren She is now 85
    I didn't actually forget her, but only so many women will fit in my tiny little imagination at one time...

And IMDB says she'll be 89 in September......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Sophia Loren made a movie, a good move in the past several years.. she plays an elderly woman who is raising children of prostitutes .. “ The Life Ahead “ on Netflix..

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10627584/

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I didn't actually forget her, but only so many women will fit in my tiny little imagination at one time...

And IMDB says she'll be 89 in September......Ben
    You are correct sir:
    Born: September 20, 1934 (age 88 years), Rome, Italy
    But in my mind she will be forever young

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    But in my mind she will be forever young
    Oh yeah!......Ben

Born: September 20, 1934 (age 88 years), Rome, Italy
    My gosh! Think of her FUBAR childhood growing up in Italy during WWII. No child should experience that.

I think of the experiences in Ukraine that must be much the same, once again all due to one man and his henchmen. Russia has no right to continue to exist as a country after what has been done in Ukraine. It should be partitioned and divvied up among it's neighbors never to exist again.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

She was a little before my time, but I'll tell you my dad had a big crush on her.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Ahhh... one of our full-figured stars of yesteryear. She truly was an international sex symbol - yet was so much more.

I never met her in life but look forward to doing so in death.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

It should be partitioned and divvied up among it's neighbors never to exist again.
    We (the collective) have tried that a number of times----obviously we don't know the way to success in that endeavor.