Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: going kayak fishing in style

Oh damn! I really want one of those!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    this was my first vehicle. I kick myself for ever selling it.

I'm ignorant on Toyotas, never owned one...If that's a Land Cruiser, it's on the list of 10 most durable vehicles here...With that in mind, if you hadn't sold it you could probably still be driving it daily today...The other vehicles on that list may surprise a few......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I had two of them back in my surveying days in the mid-70s. They ride nearly as rough as my tractors but at speed. The damn things will beat you to death on the highway, but they will go almost anywhere if you put some decent tires on them.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Our friend Alaska Ranger bought one in the SW (AZ?) and had it shipped to Alaska with the intent of doing a full restoration on it----something I am sure he did.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

With just a minute spent with my friend Dr. Google I bring to you the current state of Audie's Land Cruiser:

The second one is with Audie's lovely wife Jenny

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	39283

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	39284

I think I shall reach out and wish our good friends a very merry Christmas season
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Nice! I'm surprised he doesn't have a bit more aggressive tread on the tires.

I'm guessing that is all he needs, especially if he uses it to go anywhere on the roads. Where he lives is gravel, not much chance of mud and in the winter if it ain't plowed you don't need to go there.

The year that I did the Denali Highway there had not been any maintenance on it in two years because of budget cuts but there was no real mud to deal with. There were huge puddles that were the size of swimming pools but they were all hard bottom. There is very little human presence along the highway so it is a tremendous ride through the untouched Alaskan wilderness, with all it's raw beauty.

Princess cruise line was pushing to get it paved so they could infect it with their damnable buses---so far no luck for them

I love those old FJs - but never owned one. Toyota came back with them for a handful of years but killed that effort too.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    With just a minute spent with my friend Dr. Google I bring to you the current state of Audie's Land Cruiser:

The second one is with Audie's lovely wife Jenny

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	39283

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	39284

I think I shall reach out and wish our good friends a very merry Christmas season
    My ears have been itching. Can anyone figure why?

Hello all! The other day I got an email from Dave, and here is the pith of my response to him:

Hello Dave -

What an internet surprise, and congratulations for shaking off that silly “retired” attitude😎.

The 1980 BJ40 you correctly remembered still is running very nicely and thrashing through both our tundra and our spruce. Some years later - now some years back - I augmented it with a much more civilized and comfortable 1988 FJ62. Irrespective of the following paragraph, each of these is for sale - the former in AK and the latter near Seattle WA.

Both of those vehicles are the two favorite of all our automobiles for the real surprise in our lives. Five years ago, when I was already in my 62nd year, from the comfort and confines of the geriatric ward Jenny presented the world with our very first child. So we now have Augustus “Gus” Bakewell to rule the roost and make life fun and wonderful and a joy indeed, as well as to keep us young.

Audie, Jenny and Gus
    Denali Highway Cabins
    Paxson, AK
    Rarely inhibited by positive thinking

Well I'll be...Welcome back, Audie...CongRATs on the kiddo!...And just in time for Christmas!...What did you bring me?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Welcome Back Audie

You have been missed
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Yes he has been missed. I remember him having lots of interesting things to tell us. Welcome back!

Congrats on the youngster, Audie. Best wishes to all from here.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'