Thread: Late for Thanksgiving but on time for Christmas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Late for Thanksgiving but on time for Christmas

I should have posted this earlier, in the event anyone wants to "know what good iss"

Our middle son is having our feast today but I am making PA Dutch Potato filling. It is in the refrigerator now, soon to go into the oven. Since I am drying dill in the kitchen now I am going to add that before baking and also put a few pats of Irish butter on top.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Potatoe filling 112422.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	309.7 KB 
ID:	39266

I promise you will not miss plain old mashed potatoes if you give this a try.

Helen's Potato Filling
    Old Pennsylvania Dutch family recipe.

2 pounds peeled potatoes

1 each peeled and chopped medium onion

2 tablespoons chopped celery

4 tablespoons chopped parsley

2 each well beaten large eggs

1/4 cup melted butter

1 teaspoon salt

1 dash pepper, to taste

3 tablespoons butter

1-1/2 cups whole milk, warmed

Garlic, 4 cloves diced
    6 slices white artisan bread diced and toasted
    Dill to taste
    Cover potatoes with water, add salt and cook until tender. Sauté chopped onions and celery in three tablespoons of butter until onions are soft, then add parsley. Drain potatoes and place in mixing bowl. Add onion mixture, eggs, butter, milk, salt, and pepper. Mash ingredients until mostly smooth but allow some texture.
    Fold in bread cubes.
    Place mixture in a buttered crock. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown on top and 165 F internal temperature.
    My comments are in red.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 11-24-2022 at 11:21 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Nice. It's obviously popular - a quick search returned 100s of hits.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead