Thread: Former Attorney General Bill Barr discussed Donald Trump's 2024 campaign in an op-ed.

Former Attorney General Bill Barr discussed Donald Trump's 2024 campaign in an op-ed.

He said Trump's "narcissism" means he would be unable to accept losing the GOP nomination race.

Barr is a former Trump loyalist, who has recently turned against his ex-boss.

Former Attorney Bill Barr said that Donald Trump would seek to destroy the Republican Party if defeated in his bid to become its 2024 presidential nominee.

In an op-ed in The New York Post published on Tuesday, Barr addressed Trump's announcement last week that he was seeking the Republican Party candidacy for the White House in 2024.

He said that if Trump loses the nomination, it could tear the GOP apart.

"Unless the rest of the party goes along with him, he will burn the whole house down by leading 'his people' out of the GOP," Barr said, referring to the former president's hardline supporters in the party.

"Trump's willingness to destroy the party if he does not get his way is not based on principle, but on his own supreme narcissism," Barr wrote.

"His egoism makes him unable to think of a political party as anything but an extension of himself — a cult of personality."

Trump's status as the GOP's most powerful figure has taken a hit in the wake of the midterm elections, when several of the high profile candidates he'd endorsed in key races were defeated.

Barr is among Republicans claiming the the divisive and flawed candidates Trump endorsed are the reason for the party's failure to win control of the Senate, and to only secure a small House majority.

"The GOP's poor performance in the recent midterms was due largely to Trump's mischief," said Barr, citing his candidate choice, failure to provide proper funding, and stoking of internal GOP divisions.

His criticisms is strikingly similar to that of Trump's niece, Mary Trump, who also believes that the former president would seek to "burn everything down" if Republicans blame their midterms defeat on him.
    Go gettem donnie----you da man
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Barr needs to keep up!

I'd say Trump has already done most of that and is well on the way to finishing the job.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I agree-----but trump doesn't know it

I wish he would end this so I could go "home"
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Careful what you wish for! Going Home sung by a fellow Pennsylvanian (transplanted, anyway) and probably my favorite progressive rock vocalist from the 1970s - Annie Haslam.

I keep rolling the terms narcissism and egoism around in my mind. The labels would attach to several of my friends and family - who are not criminals. In other words, narcissists, and egoists, can be fully functional law-abiding citizens. So, I researched online for synonyms of the label's personality traits. It didn't help.

Perhaps we're trying to describe a person who uses other people to meet their needs and discards those people when they no longer do so.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Antisocial personality disorder, sometimes called sociopathy, is a mental disorder in which a person consistently shows no regard for right and wrong and ignores the rights and feelings of others.

A key difference between a psychopath and a sociopath is whether he has a conscience, the little voice inside that lets us know when we’re doing something wrong, says L. Michael Tompkins, EdD. He's a psychologist at the Sacramento County Mental Health Treatment Center.

A psychopath doesn’t have a conscience. If he lies to you so he can steal your money, he won’t feel any moral qualms, though he may pretend to. He may observe others and then act the way they do so he’s not “found out,” Tompkins says.

A sociopath typically has a conscience, but it’s weak. They may know that taking your money is wrong, and they might feel some guilt or remorse, but that won’t stop their behavior.

Both lack empathy, the ability to stand in someone else’s shoes and understand how they feel. But a psychopath has less regard for others, says Aaron Kipnis, PhD, author of The Midas Complex. Someone with this personality type sees others as objects he can use for his own benefit.
    It’s not easy to spot a psychopath. They can be intelligent, charming, and good at mimicking emotions. They may pretend to be interested in you, but in reality, they probably don’t care.

“They’re skilled actors whose sole mission is to manipulate people for personal gain,” Tompkins says.

Sociopaths are less able to play along. They make it plain that they’re not interested in anyone but themselves. They often blame others and have excuses for their behavior.

Some experts see sociopaths as “hot-headed.” They act without thinking how others will be affected.

Psychopaths are more “cold-hearted” and calculating. They carefully plot their moves, and use aggression in a planned-out way to get what they want. If they’re after more money or status in the office, for example, they’ll make a plan to take out any barriers that stand in the way, even if it’s another person’s job or reputation.

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/...ath-difference

Dealer's choice - sociopath or psychopath, depending on if you want to keep your options open on his candidacy in 2024 or not...

How about my unscientific observation. A self-absorbed, self-righteous, all about himself son of a bitch.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

An excellent job, my friends, in following up with personality disorder labels.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead