Thread: Even out in the boondocks

Even out in the boondocks

The religious proselytizing continues. Jehovah's Witnesses knocked on the door today. I try to be polite and patiently let them do their thing because it has to be hard on them, getting doors slammed on them constantly. So I listen and try to keep an open mind.

But it is hard. I'm firmly of the belief that there is no "right" way to worship, or that you even need to worship as such. I think that when we die, we will all find out that we all had it wrong to some extent. And right. So I try very hard not to judge.

But like I said, it is hard. The problem is, these were neighbors and I want to maintain a relationship. People up here rely on each other a lot, so I didn't want to offend them but they handed me a copy of The Watchtower that was banging on about how the Rome is the Whore of Babylon and the Pope is the Antichrist. It really tested my patience.

How do you folks handle this sort of thing? Not wanting to get cornered for "the spiel" but also, not wanting to offend?

I just close the door...I guess they go away after a while......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

If I don't know who it is I don't answer the door.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I open the door give my dog command voice NO and shut the door. I have no time for that
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

As you said, it has to be hard for them so I try to be nice. I tell them that I have no interest in what they are pushing and that I would be a waste of their time that could be better spent elsewhere. If they don't grasp what I'm saying, I can get ugly. But, I prefer to be nice to what I consider to be misguided pilgrims.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I live in a place where it is common for strangers to bring up religion and religious subjects. I used to notice it but after a few years it wore off.

With 1/2 of my family being LDS, Proselytism comes up. Several of my Nieces and Nephews have gone on Church missions where they work to convert others to their faith. They do that work sincerely believing they are helping people connect with Christ and God. And, each of them has returned a better person after doing it.

I think I've encountered a good non-confrontational way to figure out where a person is religiously. You meet a person and they say, "So, what ward are you in?" Now, in my state, people know what a ward is and whether or not they're in one (here, they're always in one). The first time I was asked that question, I did not know what a ward was.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Proselytism (/ˈprɒsəlɪtɪzəm/) is the policy of attempting to convert people's religious or political beliefs. Proselytism is illegal in some countries.
    Today's new word

I generally simply say that I am happy in my religion and wish them a good day. On one occasion I was under a truck on a creeper when they arrived and asked if they could talk to me. I said sure but I need to keep on working---there is another creeper against the wall, you will have to slide under here. They left
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

When Wifey and I travel we'll run into LDS missionaries in the field. We talk with them and they're impressed when we say we're from SLC, where LDS Church Headquarters are located. Sometimes they're really pleased that someone recognized who they are and what they are doing.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Not home. Usually a few groups of guys come in the store, they are nicely dressed and polite and one can tell they are from the LDS. Talk other things than religion.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'