Thread: Former Speaker Paul Ryan calls himself a 'Never-Again-Trumper'

Former Speaker Paul Ryan calls himself a 'Never-Again-Trumper'

I am encouraged by what seems to be an increasing public presence of Paul Ryan---I hope he decides to get back into politics

From ABC News:

Just days after donald trump announced his third bid for the White House, former Speaker of the House Paul Ryan denounced the twice-impeached former president's political future, calling himself a "Never-Again-trumper."

"I'm proud of the accomplishments [during the Trump administration] -- of the tax reform, the deregulation and criminal justice reform -- I'm really excited about the judges we got on the bench, not just the Supreme Court, but throughout the judiciary," Ryan told ABC News' chief Washington correspondent and "This Week" co-anchor Jonathan Karl in an exclusive interview that aired Sunday. "But I am a Never-Again-trumper. Why? Because I want to win, and we lose with Trump. It was really clear to us in '18, in '20 and now in 2022."

While Republicans secured the House with a razor-thin majority, they failed to flip the Senate. The "red wave" that was widely predicted this midterm season did not come to pass. Ryan put the blame directly on the former president.

"I personally think the evidence is really clear," Ryan said in his first Sunday show interview since he left office in 2019. "The biggest factor was the trump factor … I think we would have won places like Arizona, places like Pennsylvania, New Hampshire had we had a typical, traditional conservative Republican, not a trump Republican."

"With trump, we lose," he added.

"We lost the House in '18," Ryan continued. "We lost the presidency in '20. We lost the Senate in '20. And now in 2022 we should have and could have won the Senate. We didn't. And we have a much lower majority in the House because of that trump factor."

During the interview, Ryan pointed to the trump-endorsed candidates' lackluster performance during the midterms. At least 30 of the former president's hand-picked candidates, including some of the most notable nominees in various states, lost in their general elections after winning their primaries.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Paul Ryan is a pretty good guy.. good guy, not great guy.. he wanted to destroy social security for his Wall Street supporters..

Let’s watch.. just keep an eye open.. IMHO many Republicans will pay lip service by sniveling about the Special Council investigation of Trump while “caving “ and answering the Councils call.. GOB should realize that a third party “spoiler candidate “ needs to be stopped..

Just my opinion, I could be wrong..

I can excuse anyone taking a bad position in good faith.

He demonstrated a mastery of the numbers---not so much a mastery of the human side of the equation---remember he was young.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    ,,,just keep an eye open..,
    Exactamundo. At this point in the process, possible candidates must come forward or prepare to come forward. We need to have options to choose from.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Paul Ryan is a pretty good guy.. good guy, not great guy.. he wanted to destroy social security for his Wall Street supporters..

Let’s watch.. just keep an eye open.. IMHO many Republicans will pay lip service by sniveling about the Special Council investigation of Trump while “caving “ and answering the Councils call.. GOB should realize that a third party “spoiler candidate “ needs to be stopped..

Just my opinion, I could be wrong..
    I just hope whoever we get as the next president can keep their eyes open, unlike the current occupant.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.