Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phantom F4 Rut Roh

Phantom F4 Rut Roh

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Wow! A one point landing...Tough to achieve...Even tougher to retain your wings (the ones on your chest)...That one still has its droptanks attached too......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

He was in a rush to get home
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Carrier deck pitched.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Carrier deck pitched.
    Maybe, but the roundel placing looks USAF, not Navy nor Marines......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

True, I didn't even look at the markings. I don't see a tail-hook either.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Carrier deck pitched.
    I don't think carriers pitch that much
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I submit that the pic was taken during a bad recovery from a VERY bad landing attempt . One should bounce basket balls , NOT F-4s .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

True, I didn't even look at the markings. I don't see a tail-hook either.
    Even the Phantoms in my own wing all had tailhooks...I don't remember one ever being deployed there, but they were operational...Spangdahlem's runway had four arresting wires just for such an emergency...They were at about the 9000 foot mark on our 13000 foot runway...All our F-4's always used the drag chutes, the tailhooks were the OS option when all else failed...An unknown camera operator took the below photos at WOH......Ben

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4399.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	39261  

Okay, I have now proven that I know nothing about F-4s other than they make lots of beautiful black smoke!

Okay, I have now proven that I know nothing about F-4s other than they make lots of beautiful black smoke!
    That's why I hang around this joint, I learn something new every day!......Ben

I find our warplanes to be beautiful.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I think IV summed it up correctly

I do know that they time take offs to be advantaged by a rising deck, I'm not sure they can do the same with landings.

wait that not right

May 10th, 1966, Lt Greg Schwalbert of VF-14 launched off a carrier at sea with his aircraft weighing in at over 34,000 lbs in high winds. Immediately after launch in winds of 33 kts over the deck, the pilot became frighteningly, and most painfully aware that his wings were still in the folded position. After quickly jettisoning his external load, Lt Greg Schwalbert steered towards the safety of the shore that lay over 59km away. The Phantom was successfully recovered at NAAS Leeward Point after a tense 180 kts approach speed and touchdown that would be comparable to a Space Shuttle approach. Any slower and the aircraft was feared to rapidly depart controlled flight. The pilot and aircraft survived, but no word on the condition of the pilot’s underwear. Once again, the F-4 is proof that with enough power, even a brick could fly!

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"