Thread: A hollow victory?

A hollow victory?

From this morning's NYT:

A Dutch court yesterday sentenced three men with ties to the Russian security services to life in prison over the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17, commonly known as MH17, which killed all 298 people aboard. The plane was shot down over eastern Ukraine in July 2014 during a Moscow-backed separatist uprising that foreshadowed Russia’s full-scale invasion this year.

The victims’ families drew some solace from the verdict, which placed responsibility on Moscow, but the men who were found guilty may never be arrested. And the fact that the convictions came after eight years of investigation, amid Russian stonewalling, highlights the challenges for prosecutors, as they try to hold more recent Russian war criminals accountable.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I recall a big airliner being shot down by the military of an Asian country in the '70s or '80s. And, they weren't one of our allies so they basically said, "that's too bad."

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead