Thread: May the Lord be with you

May the Lord be with you

From this morning's NYT:

Roberta Flack, the highly decorated vocalist whose smash hits like “Killing Me Softly With His Song” made her among the most recognizable voices of the 1970s, has been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and can no longer sing, according to a statement released by her publicist on Monday.

The condition, known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, was diagnosed in August and has made it difficult for Ms. Flack to speak, the publicist, Elaine Schock, said in an email to The New York Times.

Ms. Flack, 85, won Grammy Awards for record of the year and best pop vocal performance in both 1973 and 1974 as she racked up No. 1 singles including “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” (1972), “Killing Me Softly With His Song” (’73) and “Feel Like Makin’ Love” (’74). Over the course of her career, she earned 14 Grammy nominations.
    My Mother died of ALS---it is a horrible disease---it is as she sat there watching the train advance very slowly with no chance to get out of the way.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I read about that the other day...It's not a pleasant way to go at all, I'm sure......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I consider Roberta Flack to be a living legend. In her youth she was a musical prodigy, earning a scholarship to Howard University at age 15.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead