Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tragedy in Dallas...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I see you found some pretty good models to pose with the aircraft.....................
    I named them Flotsam and Jetsam...Not much at taking direction, but both great cooks......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

LMAO!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I named them Flotsam and Jetsam...Not much at taking direction, but both great cooks......Ben
    Mike, the Collings Foundation B-17, "909"," featured in the photo spread where you made your modeling debut is the same one that crashed in October 2019 with the loss of all aboard...That was only the second time I had ever seen it......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Mike, the Collings Foundation B-17, "909"," featured in the photo spread where you made your modeling debut is the same one that crashed in October 2019 with the loss of all aboard...That was only the second time I had ever seen it......Ben
    Damn, I crawled all around inside that one and was going to take a ride but they sold out just before I found out I could.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Outstanding pics of those planes.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

The video presented below is the best analysis I've seen yet of what may have caused this fatal accident...I've watched as many different videos as I can trying to visualize the occurrence from as many angles as possible...I'll add that this is very premature analysis, only guesswork, but by a very experienced pilot who has flown with the crews involved in the crash...None of the investigation by the FAA and NTSB has yet been documented, so none of what is said here can be taken as gospel...A bonus in this presentation is the narrator is not only an experienced pilot, but also presents his theories in language that can be clearly interpreted by a layman such as my myself......Ben

I appreciated where he talked about sight lines and cockpit layouts.

About three years ago, Wifey and I took a small plane from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon Hualapaiou lands (where the glass walkway is located). It was a single-engine plane with a forward propeller. The instrument panel in the plane was high, about my eye level. I couldn't see much looking forward. Instead, the best sightlines were to the side. Wifey, being substantially smaller and shorter, sat in front of me and had no view forward other than the instrument panel itself.

So, I can understand why there may have been significant visibility issues that contributed to the accident. The narrator's comments about altitude and camouflage paint make sense as well.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

In this discussion of a preliminary report from the NTSB, this analyst assigns blame to the Airboss who directed the bombers and fighters to criss/cross lanes while coming out of a turn..."Dumb, different and dangerous" is the description...Until further facts and analysis are revealed, the description is accurate......Ben

The "reporter" sucks! I quit after watching his weather report, not what I came to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The "reporter" sucks! I quit after watching his weather report, not what I came to see.
    The preliminary report from the NTSB is downloadable here...If the determination of lack of deconfliction of the flight paths holds up, how does the reporter suck?...The indication is the airboss ordered the criss/cross of flightpaths without ensuring adequate altitude clearance...This is still a preliminary report, and until it's final, the findings are inconclusive...But the indication is error on the part of the airboss......Ben

As an aside for those who, like me, take an interest in history, here is a history of one of the aircraft lost in the Dallas accident...Although Texas Raiders was one of the very last B-17's produced near the end of WWII and never participated in combat, it eventually was retired with more military flying time than all but three of the more than 12,000 B-17's produced...Notably it served as the world's first AWACS aircraft, and was a frontline cold warrior flying the DEW line until its eventual retirement...After its conversion to service as a civilian mapping platform for the oil fields in Alaska as well as the North Sea, it was brought back to military honors at the retirement ceremony for General Curtis LeMay...The General was said to have wept at the sight of the old warrior, no mean feat since LeMay was afflicted with Bell's Palsy which froze his face into its famous permanent scowl...

This history was written by Col. Kevin Michels, who "went west" with his aircraft on that fateful day in Dallas last month......Ben

Another piece of evidence is presented in the airboss audio transcript...Below is a continuation of the earlier series I used from a presenter who has his detractors and others like me who think he does a credible job...Presented here as further material in an ongoing investigation......Ben