Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast

Breakfast

I mentioned tartines in a previous thread. I am finding myself truly enjoying breakfast these days. In past years, I would just get something down on the way out the door. Or choke down a bowl of cereal because it was quick. On weekends, I might have pancakes or an omelette or something but that was it.

Since I retired, I am exploring many new food horizons and there are many healthy, tasty ways people around the world eat breakfast. Tartines are basically what most French have in the morning. A tartine starts with a slice of rustic bread. No Wonderbread slices of (ugh!) white bread or mass produced wheat bread or whatnot. Do it right and get an artisan loaf from an actual bakery. Treat yourself to a flavorful slice of good, hearty bread. You'll be glad for it.

I like to toast the bread but many do not. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

The toppings are what make the tartine so delicious. Let your mind go wild! Avocado butter with kiwi slices? Sure! Homemade salsa with black beans? Why not? Slather onto the bread and chow down! Pair it with strong coffee (not what most people think of as coffee - do it right and make it good and strong) and you have a breakfast worth the time it takes to make it!

My favorite toppings are

1) For a rustic French dairy note, I chop up baby carrots, red pepper, scallions, mix with cottage cheese and season with pepper. A bit of Brie or Swiss on the side.

2) If I'm feeling North African, I chop green onion and garlic, sautée. Slice cherry tomatoes in half, toss them into the skillet with the garlic and onion. Throw in chickpeas. Chop a good handful of spinach and toss that in. Sautée until the tomatoes are cooked. Season with Italian seasonings and curry. That'll hold you through a good morning of work with a chainsaw, as I have found out, yet not leave you feeling heavy or sleepy as pancakes might.

I'm developing a Mexican-themed tartine with that salsa and black beans. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Try to include vegetables and protein in the topping. With the bread, it forms a complete meal that sits well and gives you energy for the entire morning.

Breakfast is now my favorite meal of the day!!!

I'm high on breakfast as well. Primarily because it is just me, my wife does her own thing much latter in the morning. There is always 2 cups of Starbucks Sumatra--that is the only "given". I often begin with a small bowl of cottage cheese and fruit with my first cup of coffee while I do the mini crossword in the NYT and start my readings. After my second cup of Sumatra I will give thought to breakfast---usually incorporating eggs in some fashion and taking advantage of whatever is in the frig. Tomorrow I will finish up the steak left over from tonight's dinner---that will be accompanied by veggies----most always with tomatoes and cheese topping of some sort. It commonly takes the form of a mix between omelet and a scramble---my wife calls it a mess

The veggies are often frozen. I use fresh veggies for dinner---but in the morning I can be a tad lazy and just pour some out of a bag. I was out of tomatoes for a couple of days and so I have a part of a can of Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and chili peppers. I will finish them up tomorrow----and always hot peppers are included

I should have had spinach left over from dinner tonight, for tomorrow morning----but I ate it all
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I don't eat breakfast much and it's probably a good thing because what I like is not healthy at all. I like three sunny side up eggs, three strips of crispy bacon, a healthy portion of fresh grits with butter on the top and two slices of wheat bread with strawberry jelly.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

OH MY GAWD!!!!!!

Well, the wheat bread is a foundation on which to build, so all is not lost...

Never fear, we'll have you downing kale smoothies in no time. All that bitter green goodness. You'll never look at breakfast the same way again. I know I like my breakfast to be the same color and taste of bile, anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    OH MY GAWD!!!!!!

Well, the wheat bread is a foundation on which to build, so all is not lost...

Never fear, we'll have you downing kale smoothies in no time. All that bitter green goodness. You'll never look at breakfast the same way again. I know I like my breakfast to be the same color and taste of bile, anyways...
    My sister is one of those magical mystery smoothie making persons. She puts all kinds of stuff in it and when she tells me about it it's good diet control because I don't want to eat.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

"I'm developing a Mexican-themed tartine with that salsa and black beans."
    - Kevin

That'd be my choice.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Forgot to add an ingredient to the North African tartine above - a 1/4 cup of ricotta (part skim) to hold it all together.

I had that Mexican tartine this morning - strain the salsa to get any excess water out (reserve for soup!) and a 1/4 of sour cream to bind it all together. Scrumptious!!!

Well----I had a mess

Ro-Tel tomatoes and chilis, stir fry frozen mixed veggies, frozen corn, diced onion, hot peppers, my left over steak----all braised together with two eggs stirred in and topped with mozzarella. Served over a few corn chips to assure not leaving any juice behind.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

OK, corn chips should have no place on a breakfast plate. You are not in college anymore, Dave Grubb. You know better.

There is no one here to watch me

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Well----I had a mess

Ro-Tel tomatoes and chilis, stir fry frozen mixed veggies, frozen corn, diced onion, hot peppers, my left over steak----all braised together with two eggs stirred in and topped with mozzarella. Served over a few corn chips to assure not leaving any juice behind.

Good great.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

I like where this went cause I've never separated out foods for specific meals. Denny's is one of my favorite restaurants since they offer many of their menu items 24/7.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Fried egg, bacon, lettuce, tomato, on home made sourdough with a light spread of mayo was this mornings breakfast

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Kevin made me feel bad yesterday about my poor choices

So---today I made amends----plain yogurt over a diced up apple with an oats and honey granola bar

Now THATS breakfast!!!