Thread: Don't try and outrace this Texas Patrolman

Don't try and outrace this Texas Patrolman

1080 HP Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye was Seized from a Street Racer

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

That is a badass machine...Pursuits probably won't last long with that one in the chase......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Nice.

About 40 years ago I regularly traveled over 80 from Reno to Sacramento. The CHP was running high-performance cars with internal safety cages to catch the Porsches, Beemers, etc. They'd hop up the freeway looking for speeding lone or small racing groups.

Once, when I was with three other cars that were also speeding, we passed a cop when we were doing about 80 MPH in a 55 zone. It didn't rattle the cop, who was obviously looking for bigger fish than us.

I'm a good boy now. The last speeding ticket I got was in 1980 on State Street in SLC.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Nice.

About 40 years ago I regularly traveled over 80 from Reno to Sacramento. The CHP was running high-performance cars with internal safety cages to catch the Porsches, Beemers, etc. They'd hop up the freeway looking for speeding lone or small racing groups.

Once, when I was with three other cars that were also speeding, we passed a cop when we were doing about 80 MPH in a 55 zone. It didn't rattle the cop, who was obviously looking for bigger fish than us.

I'm a good boy now. The last speeding ticket I got was in 1980 on State Street in SLC.

Hunter
    I have a friend who is retired CHP. He was one of the guys that had a fast camaro. Told me he was curious what the top speed was, and found a nice spot to test it out. Every time it hit 183, the electronics would kick in and take him down to 140. Found out the regulated the speed only because of the tire rating.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I have a friend who is retired CHP. He was one of the guys that had a fast camaro. Told me he was curious what the top speed was, and found a nice spot to test it out. Every time it hit 183, the electronics would kick in and take him down to 140. Found out the regulated the speed only because of the tire rating.
    I learned a long time ago that is pretty much SOP for fast cars - the manufacturers do not want the liability of delivering a vehicle that can go faster than the tires they install on it.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I like it when our boys know their car facts.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Every time it hit 183, the electronics would kick in and take him down to 140. Found out the regulated the speed only because of the tire rating.
    I'll bet he was worried he broke it and had to buy it the first time it defueled at 183......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The fastest car I owned was the AMG GT - which supposedly topped out at 196 MPH. It wasn't a muscle car though, it was light and extraordinarily nimble. Some rich guy had owned it but had cracked the windshield. So, he traded it in at 600 miles on a faster car (I just cared about getting a bargain).

It was interesting driving a modern sports car. It had all those new-fangled smart features (traction systems, yada yada). Unless all the controls were turned off, it pretty much ensured that even a bad driver wouldn't wreck it.

I planned to take it to the Salt Flats to see how fast it would go. Wifey (wisely) said no.

Hunter

I remember when I was in High School im the late 70’s, the Arizona Highway Patrol had a couple of Dodge Magnums. If they pulled up beside you, you knew it. I a, pretty sure that they had more than a few Nascar parts in them. I heard one pull up to the take out window at a Jack in the box. The whole building shook in time to its engine. As a High School boy, it was awesome.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

fasted car I ever owned was a chipped 2000 BMW M5. 440hp. One morning out on I5 just after sunrise some guy pulled in front of me and slowed down. I was doing 80 at the time. Ruth said are you going to take that? I dropped into 4th punched it and went around on the right, took it up to near red line and shifted to 5th foot still on the floor, it kicked us back in the seats, then I put in 6th and looked back in the mirror at this little dot over a mile behind us. Then I looked at the speedo. we were over 140 mph and under redline by at least 3000 rpm. The car was rock solid at that speed. I shut it and coasted back down to 80. Still the fastest I have ever driven
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"