Thread: This needs a bit of attention

Cool This needs a bit of attention

We went a bit off the grid this morning, we ran out of propane during the night

I was having my morning coffee and reading my papers when I realized it was cold. The cause wasn't hard to determine. On the good side, propane is only one fuel we can use for heat. We used to heaqt entirely with wood and all of that remains in place and a few cords remain in the wood shed. However, at the current temperature and snowing I nixed that option and moved to number three. We still have the original electric baseboard heaters from when the house was built in the 60's. So---it was an easy trip to the thermostats and we were good to go.

By mid morning the supplier was here and filled the tanks and life went back to normal
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

This is a perfect example of why I love redundant systems!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Yeah, propane was the fuel of choice in the small Sierra towns I lived in. Our other heat source was chopped wood (particularly oak).

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I like options as well. We can be without electric without concern for heat. I have lost count how many times we have lost power this month, all rather short duration but they get my attention. My wife has given up on setting clocks until the weather calms down.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

We had hurricane lamps in our homes due to power outages. And, the homes were efficiently designed/structured around a central fireplace.

Our current home has a central fireplace - and I keep a few cases of Duraflame's handy just in case... About 15 years ago we lost power for 2 weeks (without electricity, gas heating ain't circulated). So, we put a mattress right next to the fireplace for warmth. Frankly, it was a romantic time in our lives. The new home (which we're slowly moving into) is our first that has no fireplace.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Are fireplace restrictions still in place in Park City? When I was there fireplaces (wood burning) were periodically banned.

We have an airtight wood stove that smokes (visibly) after you feed it for a short period, then clears up and has no visible smoke until the next feed.

One evening last week we came home and the smell of wood smoke was evident. The next morning (it was cold and an inversion) I noticed on a straight section of road going down into a valley a moderate haze---a clear sign of multiple wood fires.

Could be this one:

Park City bans open fires, fireworks within city limits.

https://www.abc4.com/news/wasatch-fr...20not%20banned.

Hunter