Thread: Army Surplus---it ain't what it once was!

Army Surplus---it ain't what it once was!

Even if the numbers are half---this is still a big deal. It essentially is a 2X multiplier in net numbers since Russia is out one and Ukraine is up one

While the Russian tanks aren't that great, there is no indication that the Russians have mastered the art of blowing the turrets off of them---and it sure beats walking

“Repurposed captured Russian equipment now makes up a large proportion of Ukraine’s military hardware,” the report from the U.K.’s defense ministry said. “Ukraine has likely captured at least 440 Russian Main Battle Tanks, and around 650 other armored vehicles since the invasion. Over half of Ukraine’s currently fielded tank fleet potentially consists of captured vehicles.”

“The failure of Russian crews to destroy intact equipment before withdrawing or surrendering highlights their poor state of training and low levels of battle discipline,” the report added.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

From above:

“The failure of Russian crews to destroy intact equipment before withdrawing or surrendering highlights their poor state of training and low levels of battle discipline,” the report added.
    I could not help but reflect on that statement. I have mentioned this in the past, all of my electronic gear contained explosive charges that in the event of a particularly bad day I was expected to pull the switch---the only excuse for not doing so was that I was already dead----and in that case I would catch hell the next time they saw me

The only thing that I can imagine could have been going through the Russian tank crews minds was that they weren't planning on showing up for duty again the next day---they quit
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Part of what they are doing - using the Russian's weapons against them - is good military tactics but it is part, I think, to wage war psychologically. The Ukrainians seem to understand that a modern war is in part about morale and they are doing what they can to unnerve the Russians.

For example, in a consummate display of downright cheekiness, the Ukrainian Postal Service today announced a brand new commemorative stamp showing the destruction of that bridge to Crimea that the Russians were so proud of. Putin himself opened the bridge by driving the first truck across it and declaring it was symbolic of Russia claiming Crimea as its own once again. The stamp has the bridge blowing up in the background, with a sort of DiCaprio/Winslet "I'm flying" pose for two figures in the foreground.

The Ukrainians really know how to stick the knife in and twist it. Sic 'em!!!

Never fired and only dropped once......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The Ukrainians really know how to stick the knife in and twist it. Sic 'em!!!
    They also sent putin a "birthday card"---a video of Marilyn Monroe doing her famous (and drunken) singing of "Happy Birthday Mr. President"

I wonder if Ukraine paints out the hand applied "Z" and "V" (and possibly others) that are seen on their tanks. If they didn't paint over them, that could really mess with Ivan's head

"Holly chit comrade---our own tanks are shooting at us".

In other events that Vladimir won't approve, the main bridge into Crimea from Russia just mysteriously blew itself up...
    In a major blow for Russian President Vladimir Putin, a huge explosion early Saturday severely damaged the only bridge connecting the annexed Crimean Peninsula with the Russian mainland, crimping a key supply route for Moscow’s faltering war in Ukraine.
    Now how will the Russkies get all that vodka and caviar to the troops to celebrate all the military advances they've made recently......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    In other events that Vladimir won't approve, the main bridge into Crimea from Russia just mysteriously blew itself up...Now how will the Russkies get all that vodka and caviar to the troops to celebrate all the military advances they've made recently......Ben
    It was an accident---or maybe the hand of God---the Ukrainians said they didn't have anything to do with it

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    ---or maybe the hand of God---
    Everybody's tryin' ta get inta da act!...[Channeling Jimmy Durante...]...Even God is getting his licks in at Putin......Ben

Putin has no idea how much entertainment his losses have been to us.

One hopes relatively good soldiers are not participating. But, I doubt Putin worries about others.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead