Thread: I got me a love note in the mail

I got me a love note in the mail

....well----kind of

It seems a camera spied me doing 75 in a 55 mph construction zone-----and yes sir---that would be me

Now for the good news----this was just a warm up----the next one will be for real

So, today when I was going through the same zone----I was doing 55 mph

I also saw the camera signs and the camera---this time

I think next time I will wave as I pass slowly by
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

What is the fine for that moving violation? When I was caught speeding (as a youngster) I was able to attend a class rather than pay a fine.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

For 20 mph over 55 the fine is $65---but that doubles in a construction zone---plus they add court costs to that which is about $130 more---plus, at no charge, you are awarded points---I think 4 in this case. At 6 points in 3 years (?) you get to send your license in for some period.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

It's been over 40 years since I was stopped for speeding, and the highway patrolman just told me my big tires were throwing my speedometer off, and I should get it calibrated...Nowadays I set my cruise control for just under whatever the speed limit is, or a maximum of 65 MPH where I get my best fuel mileage...If I need to be somewhere sooner, I just leave the house earlier......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    In Virginia photo red light and photo(school zone and construction zone only) are civil penalties, not traffic/criminal..

Our cameras are on all of the time, a photo red camera tracked a bank robber and a hit and run car..

Our little City installed cameras in school zones.. big problems, back to Commonwealth Attorney for advice.. one road, two schools is so congested there were almost no speeders.. the other road in front of high school had over 75% violations..

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    It's been over 40 years since I was stopped for speeding, and the highway patrolman just told me my big tires were throwing my speedometer off, and I should get it calibrated...Nowadays I set my cruise control for just under whatever the speed limit is, or a maximum of 65 MPH where I get my best fuel mileage...If I need to be somewhere sooner, I just leave the house earlier......Ben
    I was actually taking it easy at 75. The normal speed limit is 70---which would normally put me at 80---10 over. The problem here is that the speed limit dropped in the construction zone to 55---but my cruise control just kept on cruising;

Weil, the costs of speeding don't sound high, Dave. What Wifey and I worry about is how a moving violation impacts our insurance rates. Most insurance companies penalize you if you've had an accident/incident in the last 3 to 5 years (depending on the insurance company).

The bike I wrecked cost $32,000. It's in a pile of rust somewhere near Ely Nevada. I still miss it, but it's been dead for enough time that the insurance companies have forgiven me.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I suspect the insurance repercussions are some what universal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I suspect the insurance repercussions are some what universal.
    That was the case when I wrecked my beloved 2003...I'm pretty sure I'll be paying for that one from now on......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

There is an upside to getting old. Most of the things we screwed up when younger have faded away in the past.

Hunter