Thread: Russian forces withdraw from key city of Lyman in Donetsk

Russian forces withdraw from key city of Lyman in Donetsk

.....obviously, sitting in Moscow and claiming someone else's land doesn't mean it is now yours

This from the NYT:

Lyman, which fell to the Russians in May, serves as a rail hub that flows into Donbas, the mineral rich region comprised of Donetsk and neighboring Luhansk Province that has long been the focus of Mr. Putin’s war aims.

Ukraine’s ability to recapture Lyman is the most significant proof yet that Russia’s ability to control the Donbas is anything but certain.

With Lyman under Ukrainian control the battle for the Donbas will enter a new phase. The city’s recapture means that they have gained a new foothold in the region and are positioned to claw back territory before winter sets in.

The next target, if the Ukrainian military continues its advance, would likely be Svatove, a city north east of Lyman where Russians have retrenched following their defeat in the north east, according to analysts.

Russia’s military in the Donbas, depleted and losing ground, will be faced with a decision that involves shuttling resources from other parts of the front to slow Ukraine’s advance or continue to slowly lose chunks of the Donbas.
    Give em hell guys
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

"Ukraine’s ability to recapture Lyman is the most significant proof yet that Russia’s ability to control the Donbas is anything but certain."
    - Politico

At a time when bad news permeates us, there is the ongoing Ukrainian bright spot. Yeah, I abhor what Russia's done, but I like the way Ukraine has performed. It only adds to it now that NATO gets stronger and gains new members.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead