Thread: Who do we help ?

Who do we help ?

Another 12.3 BILLION being sent to the Ukrine .

I now wait to see how much will be given to Florida to help in the recovery .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

What do you think would be an appropriate amount IV?
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I see massive failure with FLA insurance programs including the State's own.

Hate to say this but any home/business that wants fed aid for flood damage should be bought for fair market value and destroyed. Land reverts to the Federal Government as nature preserves. Building in a huricane and/or low lying area is just begging to be wiped out again and again.

Of course we should follow republican's advice is keep government out, but I'm not that cruel as the old Gov was when he voted against helping Sandy victims.

As for PR they really need to bring alot of those places up to code before handing out aid again. Surprised some of those made it thru.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I have no idea Dave . I just know that a LARGE amount will be needed .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Tell ya what, we can send DeSantis what he was willing to give my state when our big hurricane hit.

Something to keep in mind about this aid. What goes to Florida or PR or possibly SC et al is not all cash, it includes "goods and services" and those are, for the most part, generated in this country. By the same token, aid to Ukraine is not in cash---it is in goods (hardware) which is made here---so that "money" does not prime the Ukrainian economy---it juices ours.

Were we have a problem is where we gift "cash" to a corrupt local government (ie PR) that ultimately lines the pockets of crooked politicians. We need to be more discerning in how we gift those funds.

As a bit of irony---PA will benefit from this aid by virtue of tons and tons of bottled water sent into the effected areas---PA's no 1 export is WATER. It is also considered an agricultural product
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Like this comment:

Stephen Colbert, host of The Late Show on CBS, perhaps put it most pithily: “If you can, get out of the storm’s path. Worst-case scenario, tell Ron DeSantis you’re Venezuelan, maybe he’ll fly you to Martha’s Vineyard.”
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Yes, war requires a monetary commitment. And Russia cannot continue its spending losses - becoming bankrupt (again) in the process. It's a blip on our financial radar, with our European allies hitting energy walls that will take years to breach.

I doubt Ukraine will fully recognize a Russian cease-fire. They should continue to annihilate their occupiers.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Can we please not politicize this tragic and impactful weather event.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I'm with you, but memories are long. DeSantis and Rubio both voted against aid to my state when Hurricane Sandy hit. That went down really really hard with people. It is true, two wrongs don't make a right but I wouldn't be against someone bringing this up to him publicly, while then going ahead and doing the right thing and voting for whatever aid is needed to the people of Florida. Unlike DeSantis, you see, I think of people in red states as fellow Americans. When they need help, I am in favor of sending whatever help is needed.