Thread: Your chance to go feral hog huntin with a pig

Your chance to go feral hog huntin with a pig

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Truth is stranger than fiction…

When talking about politicians one doesn’t have to make things up.. the truth can be better..

This might be the best service she can provide. The feral pigs are destroying much of Texas-

Feral hogs are the most prolific large, wild mammal in North America.With adequate nutrition, a feral hog population can double in 4 months.
    Breeding occurs throughout the year when conditions are favorable, and seasonally when food supply and nutrient quality vary. Females begin breeding at about 8 to 10 months old, or as young as 6 months if food is abundant.
    Under favorable conditions, sows can produce two litters every 12 to 15 months
    Feral hogs (Sus scrofa) have become a major problem in Texas, with an estimated 2.6 million head causing approximately $52 million in agriculture damage, annually (Figure 1). The overall cost is under estimated, as losses associated with lawns, landscaping and irrigation damage in suburban areas is not known, but growing. They are capable of carrying and transmitting diseases to livestock, wildlife, and humans, having potential additional negative
    economic impacts
    There are an estimated 5 million wild pigs in the U.S. and 2.6 million of them in Texas alone. All but one county in Texas is infested with them.

Here is a picture of my brother's deer feeder the first evening he put it out a couple of weeks ago. This feeder is about 4-5 miles from me:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1539531605.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	241.4 KB 
ID:	39182

This big boar came from my brother's feeder. I don't know the person in the picture, he is someone who volunteered to kill pigs while my brother was in Dallas.

Name:	21544.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	39184

And this is from my neighbor's feeder less than a mile away from me:

Name:	21579.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	39183

You can hunt them, exterminate if you will, year-round. Any means of killing them other than poison is legal. Some counties are paying a $5.00 bounty on the tails.

[on edit]

MTG is a piker at killing pigs. Take a look at Helibacon.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

They've been reported right here in my own neighborhood...Nasty bastards from Hell!......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I find it amazing that a wild animal causes such damage. We have nothing like that here (thank goodness).

The worst thing we've got is wild horses. Most people here like them - but some also want to limit their numbers (mostly farmers).

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Might check this out Mike.

In February 2017, Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller approved the use of a pesticide called Kaput Feral Hog Lure, which is bait food laced with warfarin (a rodenticide used to kill rodents).
    Needs a special licensed person to deploy it as bait. Suppose to kill pigs with a few days.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

California just changed the rules on pigs. all you need is a hunting lic. They did away with the $25/ pig tags, changed the season to year round, and you can take as many as you can kill.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Maybe we could find a few German herds of dairy cows to adopt some of the critters...
    A cow herd in Germany has gained an unlikely following, after adopting a lone wild boar piglet.
    Moo......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Luckily we don't have the pig problems that some states do but we do have them and where they are it's devastating. One of my buddies owns a 3300 Acre Farm in north Alabama and the pigs started breeding like rabbits and became a problem seemingly overnight. He got several Buddy's
    armed with AR-15s and they literally slaughtered them for weeks before they could gain any ground. Ultimately he was able to beat them back. The good news is many of them did not go to waste as he found there is a large segment of people that enjoy eating them
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Might check this out Mike.

Needs a special licensed person to deploy it as bait. Suppose to kill pigs with a few days.
    That was banned very quickly. Too much collateral damage.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke