Thread: Latest markswoman

Latest markswoman

Brag time - my sister bought a 10/22 and joined a league. They do indoor range shooting, off hand. She's a killer from a bench rest but off hand was new to her. She's learning posture, how to anchor, hand position, etc., but she complains about sway. I told her that comes with practice practice practice.

She's the only female and at 63 years old, the youngest person in the room. Shooting sports just don't seem to be carrying down to the younger generation, more's the pity. Anyways, she learning all sorts of useful skills - how to strip the rifle, clean it, put it back together, getting to know her chosen tool inside and out. Next, she plans on sending the trigger group out for a bit of work, lightening up and smoothing out the action.

Funny how she just decided she's going to do this and now she has a new hobby. I sent her some info on $1000 bull barrels for when she wants those final micrometers on the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Next, she plans on sending the trigger group out for a bit of work, lightening up and smoothing out the action.
    Volquartsen parts...Accept no substitute in a 10/22......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

That's good that she's doing this. I bet she's having a blast pun intended.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

good for her! i was friends with Skip Gordon who was known as Mr Super Shoot, but never got to meet his wife Johanna (she passed shortly before i met Skip). both of them were big in the bench shooting world. i saw some of Johanna's used targets and was very much impressed. it is nice to hear the sport is still going strong
    it's time to change the air in my head

Perfect score is 300, winning score is about 280+, normally. Three rounds of shooting, possibility of 100 points each round.

My sister shot a 23 the first time, got all sorts of assistance from the others there about posture, how to control breathing, the basic mechanics of good shooting. She shot 124 the next time (last week). Last night, she shot a 158 and her last round was her best - a 70. She is continually improving and if she can hold that 70 or improve on it next week, her score might be used for the team (top 5 are counted for league), depending on how the others shoot. They were all mightily impressed with her progress. Not bad for an off the shelf Ruger 10/22 carbine with a $125 scope. She's already talking about trigger work (ha! got her hooked!!) and maybe a barrel though she's more likely to go Green Mountain than Volquartsen. Her rifle is mostly for varmints, not targets but you never know...

O.K., finally looked up Bull Barrel to figure out what the heck all of you were talking about.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

The Volquartsen barrels are the best I know of, but I built more successful 10/22's with carbon fiber barrels than anything......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Is it possible to make a firearm totally out of carbon fiber? And, if so, could one pass undetected through an airport scanner?

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Is it possible to make a firearm totally out of carbon fiber? And, if so, could one pass undetected through an airport scanner?

Hunter
    The barrels I used were steel on both ends with a rifled steel tube connecting them...They also had thin steel rods from end to end as support, then were wrapped in the carbon fiber material...Given the pressures involved in making a gun go "bang" I doubt carbon fiber would ever make a good choice for a firing chamber...And if you ever try to get your carbon fiber Sig/Sauer past the airport scanners, Hunter, don't forget to take the metallic cartridges out of it first...

But then where are you going to hide that metallic ammo?......Ben

Ask Papillon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Ask Papillon.
    I'd rather not launch that probe......Ben

Yeah, we don't cotton to breech loaders (when I figure out why I'll let you know).

Hunter