Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I was tempted to put this in our current "Shooting" thread since it fits perfectly

I was tempted to put this in our current "Shooting" thread since it fits perfectly

...but I was afraid not all would notice it there.

In keeping with the discussion in that thread---this is a long shot---at a mighty small target. NASA pulled the trigger on this shot almost a year ago:

DART launched atop a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket on Nov. 23, 2021, and has since been traveling the 7 million miles (11 million kilometers) to Didymos and Dimorphos.
    We will be able to watch tonight on TV
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I've been reading about that one...I'm anxious to see the result......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

There is also a Planetary Protection Officer, apparently. Dr. Nick Benardini, NASA.

Gort! Klaatu berada nikto!

39 minutes to impact

Dart hab target aquasition and locked on about 15 minutes ago. It is controlling itself.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Absolutely amazing...I'm astounded!!......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Thumbs up

I WRECKED THE CAR DAD

For some reason, my mind reverted to being pursued by a couple of SAMs, obviously with different outcomes.

I enjoyed this ride far more.

Added in edit:

I can't get the last images of the surface that DART sent back out of my minds eye, incredible absolutely incredible
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 09-26-2022 at 07:47 PM.

And it didn't take 69 tries.......
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    And it didn't take 69 tries.......
    Flight time of the projectile was a little longer though, about 10 months, but the aim was smack on...The last 4 miles was covered in one second......Ben

Got to wait a week or so to see if this even as an effect. Then years later when that effect affects us here on earth.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

There is a very interesting and detailed article in this morning's NYT---but sadly I could not find it on any open link

However, I did find one of the videos here.

Dimorphos is the bright light moving from right to left. The bright spot in the middle is Didymos. The flash you see is debris flying off Dimorphos when DART impacted. That was taken from telescopes here on earth. It was also captured by an Italian satellite. There was a similar cloud of debris expelled from the back side of Dimorphos.

Webb also captured the impact but Hubble was blocked from seeing it since the Earth was between Hubble and Dimorphos.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 10-02-2022 at 11:49 AM.

Modern technology never fails to astound me......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Modern technology never fails to astound me......Ben
    I suck it up like it like a kid eating ice cream

I was with my family today and we discussed this extraordinary scientific feat. Add to that the satellite we killed this year and it becomes evident we are not just masters of our domain - we are masters of our solar system.

The asteroids that took out the dinosaurs twice wouldn't have the same results now. For, if we can impact an asteroid in space we can also nuke an asteroid in space - which would put on a show to behold.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

It worked

Dart moved the rock.

Analysis of data obtained over the past two weeks by NASA’s Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) investigation team shows the spacecraft's kinetic impact with its target asteroid, Dimorphos, successfully altered the asteroid’s orbit. This marks humanity’s first time purposely changing the motion of a celestial object and the first full-scale demonstration of asteroid deflection technology.

“All of us have a responsibility to protect our home planet. After all, it’s the only one we have,” said NASA Administrator Bill Nelson. “This mission shows that NASA is trying to be ready for whatever the universe throws at us. NASA has proven we are serious as a defender of the planet. This is a watershed moment for planetary defense and all of humanity, demonstrating commitment from NASA's exceptional team and partners from around the world.”

Prior to DART’s impact, it took Dimorphos 11 hours and 55 minutes to orbit its larger parent asteroid, Didymos. Since DART’s intentional collision with Dimorphos on Sept. 26, astronomers have been using telescopes on Earth to measure how much that time has changed. Now, the investigation team has confirmed the spacecraft’s impact altered Dimorphos’ orbit around Didymos by 32 minutes, shortening the 11 hour and 55-minute orbit to 11 hours and 23 minutes. This measurement has a margin of uncertainty of approximately plus or minus 2 minutes.

Before its encounter, NASA had defined a minimum successful orbit period change of Dimorphos as change of 73 seconds or more. This early data show DART surpassed this minimum benchmark by more than 25 times

Excellent!......Ben