Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I was tempted to put this in our current "Shooting" thread since it fits perfectly

Saw that last night. Amazing work done by the group.

Now if we could get every one on the far fringes of rhe political spectium to move about the same maybe we could accomplish the same here on earth.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Now, almost a year latter Hubble tells the rest of the story

It turns out that "Dart" knocked a bunch of boulders off the surface----with more kinetic energy than the bomb on Hiroshima.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

So, it left me wondering if the "atomic bomb" energy estimate is for each boulder, or for the entire group of boulders?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    So, it left me wondering if the "atomic bomb" energy estimate is for each boulder, or for the entire group of boulders?
    If each rock has a different mass, its impact would be of varying strength from the others, or maybe the energy referred to the impact of the "dart"......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Supposing all 30 boulders hit the Earth at one time, would we experience the destruction of a single atom bomb, or would we experience the destruction of 30 atom bombs?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

From the article:

Prof Jewitt said that given the high speed of a typical impact, a 15ft boulder hitting Earth would deliver as much energy as the atomic bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan, during the Second World War.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Good to see this thread again. Hopefully, we will have little use for an asteroid/comet killer.

Looked at the asteroid that hit the Yucatán, 66 million years ago, taking out all non-avian dinos. It was 12 Km (7.45 miles) wide. Something that big we may need to nuke. And, if that's done during our night, we have a chance to see it happen.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead