Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The fentanyl crisis

I suppose one could callously argue that the use of such dangerous drugs does have the accompanying effect of beneficial culling of the gene pool
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

While looking for something else on this topic I stumbled across an INTERESTING ARTICLE that pretty much describes my stance on the ineffectiveness of drug laws. It was written by the ACLU, an organization I mostly dislike, but sometimes they get it right. In this case I think they got it right. Please give the article a chance even if you hate the ACLU.

The original topic of the thread is about the dangers of Fentanyl and what to do to stop it. The tread has morphed a bit, that's mostly my fault, but I don't think we can effectively single out one drug for enforcement. They are all tied together in some way. Fentanyl is now found mixed in just about every illicit drug out there. That is part of what makes it so deadly - users thinking they are getting their usual dose of Ecstasy, Cocaine, Heroin and just about every other drug are unknowingly getting a lethal dose of Fentanyl as an added deadly bonus. I think controlling Fentanyl also means controlling the other illicit drugs. It's a package deal if we want it to work.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Two observations, for whatever they are worth:

1) Fentanyl was a godsend to my brother-in-law as he was in hospice dying of cancer. There was no manly talk about suffering through, I don't wanna take any drugs, whatever. He took them and gladly and it allowed him to interact with his family right up to the end.

2) In the early 1900s, drug addiction was considered a character flaw, not a jailable offense. There was not a stigma around it as there is now. But that was when drugs such as cocaine and heroin were legal. I like Mike's approach - it decriminalizes the topic and puts more people in line for treatment.

OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I hope law enforcement everywhere is providing policies, training and equipment to its line officers. That is our only defense because there is absolutely no way of stopping it at this time.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I'm addicted to Opiates - which allow me to function in society. I only take prescribed doses and have been doing so for about ten years. It's no big deal. Hundreds of thousands of Americans are doing the same thing. When they come out with something better to take, I'll move on.

Opiates are controllable if one sticks to the established medical system. Even though people die from taking Opiates, Fentanyl is much worse. It is extraordinarily strong - thus the dose must be exact. You err and you die (e.g., Prince the entertainer). I can literally take a double dose of Opiates and roll right on. Do that with Fentanyl, and (again) you die.

When I first started taking Opiates they really hit me. I avoided taking them when driving, etc. But, after the first year, the side effects went away. Now the opposite occurs. If I miss a dose, I'm struggling to function. That's how I know I've hit the level of addiction. It's been interesting and amazing to watch myself go through these changes. Yet, I wouldn't recommend doing it. When anyone asks me how to avoid it I say, "Don't get run over by a truck."

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

^^^^^(microphone drop)