Thread: Crazy Prices!

Crazy Prices!

I came across the following conversation between what appears to be an automotive mechanic and a Snap-on representative about the price an eleven piece set of sockets. Some of the viewers comments think it is a single socket, but if you pay attention it is a 11 piece set. Either way, it would be much cheaper to have the tool made at a machine shop. Turn up the volume enough so that you can here the Snap-on rep!
    Turn wrench HERE. [added on edit] The set is so popular it is on back-order!

And, on the other end of the price spectrum, I came across these stainless steel scrubbers on Amazon. Three stainless steel scrubbers with free two day shipping for $1.89. Really? Shipping alone costs more than that! How the hell do they stay in business selling products for less than the shipping price? Didn't anyone tell them that we are in the middle of such high inflation they could charge as much as Snap-on and no one would say a word?
    Amazon
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Snap-on from what I understand makes very high quality tools. But I think their business model is to deliver them to the mechanic and have very easy in-house financing. I represented them for a few years. What those poor guys pay for tools and then you add a ridiculous interest rate it's robbery.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

First---if you want to feel better about what you pay for scrubbers---try this one.

It is great---it works

As for the Snap-on video----man, when you can get a rise out of the Snap-on guy regarding a price you have done something! Most of my tools are Craftsman, not because they are the best but because they were reasonably priced. However, there were some tools that I had to move up to either Snap-on or Mac---primarily open end (and combination) wrenches and screw drivers. Craftsman open ends will spread if you rally lean on them. My impact sockets and 3/4" drive sockets are all Snap-on as well.

I have a 15", 1/2" drive ratchet that has stripped the teeth more times than I could guess. When I was in college I worked right across the street from a Sears catalog store. It got to the point that they kept a rebuild kit under the counter---they would see me walking across the street with that thing in hand and by the time I walked through the door the kit was sitting on the counter
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I have had one of the chain mail type scrubbers for years, they do work well. But, that's not what I am buying these for. I use them at my outdoors kitchen for scrubbing grills and holding a bar of Lava soap so it doesn't melt away. I use them in my shop for cleaning rusty things and again, for holding my Lava soap. They are good for lots of things other than scrubbing pots and pans. I always get the stainless steel type so it doesn't rust away, but the cheap stainless ones don't last long.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Very interesting----I will be trying that

I have a grill cleaner that has them mounted on a handle for cleaning the grates---they do work well for that.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I bought SnapOn almost exclusively as a mechanic, and although consistently high compared to almost every other brand...And the truck came to me weekly without fail...The warranty was always no questions asked, here's your new tool and sorry for your inconvenience...My credit was always good and I never paid interest on the balance...But I would have had to balk on that price......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6afb2f3f56dbad9afa86184a182b9f3a016a1e929e710871c8e462904159008f_1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	39181
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'