Thread: Because I'm cheap!

Because I'm cheap!

My wife likes pickled eggs and she buys them in bags of six at the grocery. Recently I have been buying them and they are almost $10/doz

So----now I am in the pickled egg business

I hope she approves of the final product. Attached below is a PA Dutch recipe for pickled eggs----I eat the beets

8 large eggs

2 (15 ounce) cans whole pickled beets, juice reserved

1 small onion, chopped

1 cup white sugar

¾ cup cider vinegar

12 whole cloves

2 bay leaves

½ teaspoon salt

1 pinch ground black pepper

Step 1
    Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 15 minutes. Remove eggs from hot water, cool under cold running water, and peel.

Step 2
    Place eggs, beets, and onion in a non-reactive glass or plastic container. Set aside.

Step 3
    Combine sugar, 1 cup reserved beet juice, vinegar, cloves, bay leaves, salt, and pepper in a medium-size, non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.

Step 4
    Pour hot liquid over eggs, beets, and onion. Cover and refrigerate 48 hours before using.

Now---for a good soaking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220924_121554 (2).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	397.9 KB 
ID:	39180  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 09-24-2022 at 11:39 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I also am a fan of pickled eggs. I buy mine in a big jug at Sam's club. They're made by a company called Hannah. While probably not as good as the homemade ones they are fairly cheap as cheap goes these days.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

This looks close to what my Mother made---I'll see. My Mother was an excellent cook, including dishes way outside of the PA Dutch wheelhouse However, she was also an intuitive cook, seldom looked at a recipe and never wrote anything down. As a result, I have spent many hours of frustration in trying to reconstruct many of her dishes, often with limited success.

But---moving on---this brings to mind a story

When my wife was still making the annual pilgrimage to Indiana with the kids every summer, often I could not break free to go along. At the time we had neighbor who was a great old guy and was a surrogate Grand Pop to our kids----not in-lieu of my Dad---but in addition too

Anyway, he had a big garden and he knew I loved red beets. So, one night when I got home he came over with a big bowl of red beets for me----I was so grateful---and so tired (in those days I "worked" for a living) that I ate the entire bowl--and went off to bed.

Sometime in the middle of the night I awoke with a serious pain in my gut---and a pressing need The need was soon answered and as I stood up and turned to send the deed forth I noticed the the bowl was bright red----my God, I'm bleeding internally

I went back to bed and looked into the darkness----there was no sense in calling my wife---what could she do all the way in Indiana. I thought of calling my Mother (my Dad had passed)---but what could she do. I decided to wish I'd wake-up in the morning and eventually fell off to sleep.

The next morning, realizing I was still sucking air and didn't feel bad----only then did I connect the blood and those damn beets

And yes----I have OD'd on beats a few times since----but now I know the signs
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I did that one time too after imbibing far too many cranberry and vodkas at the blackjack table in Vegas. The next morning everything was red. I pondered calling EMT but then it dawned on me what the problem was. Last time that ever happened.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I did that one time too after imbibing far too many cranberry and vodkas at the blackjack table in Vegas. The next morning everything was red. I pondered calling EMT but then it dawned on me what the problem was. Last time that ever happened.
    Damn----it's a good thing you watered down that cranberry juice with the vodka----who knows what could have happened.

ahhhh....beet juice....i do enjoy occasionally feeding it to my chickens especially when my friends and family come to visit........it makes the yolks blood red and freaks them out
    it's time to change the air in my head

Now that is funny, I don't care who you are

Quote Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
    ...it makes the yolks blood red...
    I always learn something new in these food threads.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

My wife was extremely complimentary about her home made pickled beets and eggs----so today I made a double batch I guess I am now in the pickled beets and eggs business

Also, since my recent "take" at my Amish green grocer, I have cleaned and put on the stove 5 qts of string beans with one large ham shank. Also, I made a big batch of cucumber salad (with loads of fresh dill) which we will have at dinner tonight with a roasted chicken and sliced tomatoes with fresh basil.

I love veggies

Added in edit: I didn't get to everything today so tomorrow is coleslaw. I got a huge head of green cabbage as part of my haul and that needs to be converted into coleslaw. I will make more stops in future trips---it is sauerkraut time
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 10-08-2022 at 04:19 PM.