Thread: Behind the curtain...

Behind the curtain...

I've been in communication for some time with a Russian family (husband, wife, sister, nephews) who saw the debacle in Ukraine coming at an early point, and decided to make their way west on a permanent basis...By a circuitous route through Romania, Bulgaria, Belorussia, even Turkey, they managed to gather again in Montenegro where they currently reside...They are becoming formal, permanent residents there, and following a gain of legal status as such, they can all apply for US visas...They are (collectively and individually) undecided on a formal destination, but plan to visit America, Canada and England to consider permanent moves...

They managed to get out of Russia with most of their possessions, but at a cost of course as money had to grease the wheels of escape...For now they say they are in relative safety with other expatriates in Montenegro while they plan their next moves...For those interested, here is a link to the news as seen from one source to which I have applied Google Translator...I believe each viewer can use whatever translator you have available to gain their perspective...Like all sources it has its bias, but might be worth the time for another viewpoint......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Wifey and I are taking a trip this week with a married couple from Ukraine. They find it painful to talk about what's occurring there, so we don't bring it up. They are now U.S. citizens and consider themselves fortunate to be here.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

An analysis this morning By James Nixey includes this:
    Similarly, the referenda to be held across the parts of Ukraine's Donbas region still held by Russia will also have little effect. In fact, these 'votes' are not even designed to give the veneer of legitimacy as with so many other Russian 'elections'. That is too big an ask of all but the most ardent Putin apologists. At best, the referenda may offer a pretext to a wider Russian mobilization and the case that the war is now being fought on Russian territory -- thus justifying the new reservist push and their inevitable sacrifice.
    I also noted elsewhere that the polls are being conducted by Russian soldiers going door to door...I can only imagine the accuracy of a vote taken by armed men knocking on doors and asking whether the residents want them to be in charge or not......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...