Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California CARB Is Deciding Your Future, Again.

California CARB Is Deciding Your Future, Again.

I just found and article detailing California's plans to ban residential natural gas water heaters and home furnaces by the year 2030. That's only about 7 years from now in a state that is already short on electrical supply and distribution. Of course, this insanity will trickle down to the rest of the states.

FUME HERE
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    We moved from Norfolk Virginia to Northern Virginia in 1962.. lived in a new subdivision on the edge of civilization, last street in Springfield Virginia.. power company didn’t have the infrastructure to fully supply the projected houses so all had gas heat, HWH stove and optional air conditioning and clothes dryer were also gas..

How do kids “cure” a baseball glove without a gas oven??

I have gas heat, water heater, kitchen stove, gas dryer, shop heaters and outdoor grills (converted from Propane) in both my house in Houston and my country property. It is simply cheaper to operate. I totally hate trying to cook on an electric stove.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I totally hate trying to cook on an electric stove.
    I seem to recall a really great Thanksgiving meal that came from that Houston stove...Delicious, even if the rice was almost late......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I seem to recall a really great Thanksgiving meal that came from that Houston stove...Delicious, even if the rice was almost late......Ben
    Thanks, Ben! That was cookin' with gas!

And it looks like California's fearless leader is going to run for president. Never thought I would say this but I'd rather have Biden than him. He's a real hypocritical piece of work.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

CA isn't alone in this. NYC will only allow electric stoves in new construction.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    CA isn't alone in this. NYC will only allow electric stoves in new construction.
    Just another reason I refuse to set foot in either state. I also try not to buy products from either state if I have a choice. I put them right up there with China when making buying decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    And it looks like California's fearless leader is going to run for president. Never thought I would say this but I'd rather have Biden than him. He's a real hypocritical piece of work.
    I agree, Biden is pretty much a paper tiger. Newsom actually believes he can make things happen and works toward his goals.

You know when you have cities that you pack people in like sardines, and I mean that literally you start having these kind of problems with energy. I haven't done the research but I bet it would be frightening to see how many people there are per square mile in the big cities in California and in the Northeast. I know there's big cities elsewhere but those come to mind.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I totally hate trying to cook on an electric stove.
    Also have the grill connected…. I’m on my second Webber, first one lasted 21 years (legs rusted off) both purchased at Lowes at deep discount, natural gas grills can have a small market and be left over at the end of the season..
    BTW.. grill has an automatic snow removal feature (doesn’t work with cover on), just light it and the grill senses the snow and removes it!

Out rental house is all gas, gas heat/electric air conditioning..

population per square mile

Los Angeles 8359

Dallas 3818

Houston 3160

San Antonio 3002

San Francisco 18633

New York 27013

Tokyo 16121

Mexico City 16000

Beijing 79248

Mumbai 73000
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

I agree, Biden is pretty much a paper tiger. Newsom actually believes he can make things happen and works toward his goals.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...age=AA12dXQp|4
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

That's good news!

I have no skin in this game but I will comment.

I'm not sure that this ruling shares many of the long tentacles attached to many previous (and onerous) CARB rulings. I confess to not having read the ruling so what I am about to say may not be correct.

That said, many previous CARB rulings that ultimately impact the entire country do so either by the magnitude of the "CA market" or by potential legal issues for non-compliance by non-California entities. As an example, the formaldehyde regulations for plywood. Those regs. define the maximum allowable formaldehyde content----but----they also bar importation of any products using CARB noncompliant plywood and subject violators to legal penalties. They go so far as to include secondary importation, if I build a piece of furniture in PA, sell it to someone in PA--or NJ or any other location and they ultimately move to CA with that noncompliant piece---as the manufacturer I can be held liable. That ostensibly makes CARB the formaldehyde regulator of the entire country.

The fact that the CA market eclipses any other state can make it uneconomic for manufacturers to offer both CARB compliant for CA and noncompliant for the rest of the country. Automobiles are still produced in both CA compliant and noncompliant (although 12 states have adopted the CA standards).

All that to say---I question that the CARB regs regarding residential stoves is going to expand, by default, to the entire country. I believe that a significant (including me) market exists for gas stoves that will support their continued availability.

As a secondary thought----the Amish----and a lot of others that live off the grid would find this reg. as untenable in today's world. They use propane not only for cooking but also refrigeration and lights.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis