Thread: A long shot...

A long shot...

OK then, a VERY long shot...
    From the pull of the trigger, roughly 24 seconds elapsed before forward spotters heard the telltale plunk of a 422-grain copper bullet piercing the thin metal target.

The shooter was 4.4 miles away, a distance so great, the Earth’s rotation came into play.
    It took 69 tries that morning but I suppose the barrel hat to warm up a bit......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

With 69 tries, the blind squirrel saying comes to mind......although I'm certain it took a lot of experience and skill to even get within rock throwing range of the target.

Having not even considered how they were going to see the target, I was surprised to see how large it was when humans walked up to it.

Someone has a sore shoulder!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I was surprised to see how large it was when humans walked up to it.
    The 8" orange circle on that large white rectangle was what he was aiming for - and hit......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Had I thought about the shot prior to viewing the video, I would have expected the size of the target. Maybe even a larger target. This one caught me unexpectedly.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Absolutely remarkable feat.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Good shooting.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

trump inspires me everyday...inspires me to vote blue...inspires me to call out the insanity... inspires me to push back against any and all supporters of the small handed orange clown

A good stunt, maybe. Taking 69 shots to hit your target means either you are a poor marksman, or attempting a shot that is so difficult it is nearly impossible to succeed. In this case I will choose the later definition. Whoever fired the shot had a lot of luck mixed in with skill and good equipment. But it is still a stunt, not a display expert marksmanship.

I can't even imagine---and I agree with Mike---this "success" was by a big margin---good luck.

There is a 1000 yd range up near the cottage----it is a humbling experience to sit on the bench and look down range at that target 3000' away---literally on the other side of a valley. The least puff of wind will ruin your day
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Fascinating. I had no idea there were groups of people into such things.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts, I want to have control, I want a perfect body, I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead