Thread: It has come to past.

Unhappy It has come to past.

So the bills outlasted the retirement funds. and I started working at the local Pilot Flying J in the deli but standing on my feet for 8+ hours a day won't work. So I'm heading to Salome, AZ to a friends RV site and a free RV hookup. It's about 1.5 hours west of Phoenix over in the Quartzsite area. I'm heading to Swift Monday and see what hoops I'll have to jump through to get rehired. I won't go for the newbie's starting pay. If not I'll walk next door and see what Winco has to offer, several of the drivers I worked with jumped ship when the contract was redone.

One of the problems I have is needing to be able to take my dog, sure can't leave him at home all alone. I figure in two years the bills are gone and more money in the bank for the next retirement. I joked with a driver manager that I had worked with that I was going to wear my million mile hat and ring and my 10 year watch when I went in. He said to do it, it just my impress them.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Good luck Paul----I hope it all works out well for you
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Inflation being what it is, I'm considering volunteering for the job market myself......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Good luck..

I think we're going to see an increase in debt-ridden people. Wages are not keeping up with growth and Millennials are burying themselves financially. Like in the '80s, people are assuming increases in equity will erase losses.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

So I thought I would stop back by with an update. After going through the process Swift decided that, A. That I had been out of the seat too long and passed. B. That at my age their insurance wouldn't cover me (the first 5 Million is self insured). I never really got a straight answer but after 14 years and 7 month and over a million miles, thank you for nothing. Winco has day cabs and a no pet policy so, no go.

Where I'm staying there a cement company I talked to and they sounded like they were interested but after talking to the owners and giving them information I heard nothing. The Middle Eastern company that is raising hay and dairy cattle was looking for local drivers to take containers about 20 miles to a rail yard and back I had an interview with on a Monday but....

Looking on the internet after a Google search the first trucking company to popup was Crete/Shaffer/Hunt. So I went to their website and you could submit an application or call and talk to a recruiter. Not being a patient person, I called. That was Friday and pretty much it was a done deal. By Friday evening I was talking to the person that set up the orientation and found out that they have a terminal in Phoenix but it was full. So they made arrangements to rent me a car, set up Uber from their terminal to the airport to get the car and drive to Salt Lake City for orientation on Monday. They paid for fuel, meals (gift cards to Subway and Smith's) and on completion my time in orientation. There was two of us but the second person wasn't there for day three.

So on the fourth day I was given a tractor with a dashcam for two months and a preloaded trailer to deliver to Puyallup and Salem. Next day pickup a loaded trailer in Hillsboro, OR and take it to Tolleson (Phoenix). I was a bit worried because they didn't have a load after that. But Monday I pick up a liquor load going to Vancouver, WA. I'll have to see how the miles go but I have to remember I'm just trying to supplement my income, I still get Social Security. So if the miles/money stays consistent I should be able to pay off the credit card in 8 or 9 months.

I have gotten messages from the owner and a call Friday from the assistant manager of the Lincoln, NE terminal. That is where they have me based out of. So I'm planning to move the truck and fifth wheel back home in March or April and keep running. They also run out of the Walmart DC in North Platte, NE and Cheyenne, WY and I'm hoping that with all the years of experience of running Walmart loads I might get on although I enjoy seeing the country again. They don't do Canada.

I joked with the assistant manager that I was going to call the recruiter at Swift and thank him for NOT hiring me. I don't know what they are paying now but when I retired in 2019 I had maxed out all their pay scales at .45 cent per mile. Crete put me on at .65 cents per mile and profit sharing and I'm putting 3% into a 401k.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Good for you man
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Good luck in your new “home”..

401k.. good news is that most employers match at 50% or 66%.. can’t beat that as an investment return..

Bad news is that you must be in the plan 5 years to keep employer contributions (five years, one time.. then the entire past and future 401k is vested)

congratulations oh and as of 2023 you can increase the employee contribution to a 401k by 10% and even more if you have a catch up account set up.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Sounds like a good move, Paul...Keep the rubber side down......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Good for you Paul-----enjoy
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The update is nice. You aced this one.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead