Thread: Fragrance

Fragrance

I've been learning about fragrances/scents for men. Thought I knew all I needed - just buy the bottle with the little picture of a ship, like my father did, and that's that. Nope.

If nothing else, the Internet has become a place for all sorts of information, both real and imaginary, and with a little skepticism, you actually can learn a lot about something like how to smell better. There are these "influencers" out there, plugging various things, and fragrance is a big interest for lots of people. Along with the expected hype and nonsense, I did learn something that I had not considered - men and women have totally different reactions to the same smell. What I find not at all interesting, a woman is all about. I'm thinking "yuck, smells like fabric softener" and she's thinking "oh, what's that wonderful, comforting smell?" So relying on men to give opinions about what smells good is a waste of time if your goal is to smell good to the opposite sex.

And even at my age, I do. I'm very interested in my wife finding me attractive, so I took the time to learn what does. And I found when I took all my new knowledge to the local smell-a-teria in the one department store left standing in my area (Kohl's), I found that the information I had gleaned from watching jerky influencers all taken with themselves was useful. I came away with a product that she found very attractive. So now I smell good to her, not just to myself. It isn't my favorite smell but it is hers so hey, that's all that mattered to me.

Anyway, I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. As long as he is willing to learn.

Or you could be like Ben. When he goes out on the prowl he dabs a bit of diesel fuel behind each ear.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Not to be mean, but given Ben's history, he needs to make himself LESS attractive to the opposite sex, which is guaranteed right on the bottle of diesel conditioner he uses. I've seen it myself.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Head & Shoulders and on sale deodorant.. ode de geezer..

One of my dad’s pearls of wisdom “there isn’t much nastier than an old man’s a$$”.. An earlier of his pearls of wisdom was “if someone offers you a breath mint, take it”..

My wife buys me cologne that she likes. I only use it if we go out. Its a no no at work as some of our clients have chemical sensitivities.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Some of the stuff at the smell-a-teria was overpowering, so I can understand a ban on the substance while at work. Like walking into a fog of smell that projected many feet away from the user and trailed behind while walking. Others promised a smell that will last 10 to 12 hours on the body and DAYS on your clothing, so you better be sure before spraying it on, it will be with you for a while. Can you imagine riding in an elevator with that going on? And many of the people talking about these scents were promoting not only a high number of spritzes per use but layering different perfumes. No wonder everyone is nose blind these days - their noses have been burned out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Or you could be like Ben. When he goes out on the prowl he dabs a bit of diesel fuel behind each ear.
    In most of the social circles in which I move, the diesel is good for everyday prowling, but in high society, like the local gun shows I douse myself with Hoppes #9......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

This is where trusting the wife comes in. I do, 'cause she's usually right.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead