Thread: Disaster averted

Disaster averted

We are leaving tomorrow for a 6 day vacation. Ruth walked into the master bedroom this afternoon and there was water flowing out of the master bath. The toilet tank had failed, cracked in half, water was spraying everywhere. I hit the water shut off and grabbed my shop vac. Sucked up at least 5 gallons of water. thankfully the bathroom floor is Linoleum and the master suite is waterproof Pergo. If this had happened tomorrow and we were gone for 6 days I can only imagine the damage and the cost. We did get a plumber to come out and install a new toilet. He said our subfloor suffered no damage.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

You got real lucky buddy. You must be living right.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

huh...my tank cracked about 3 weeks ago, the toilet is a 3 year old peerless. really made me mad. also it is good practice to shut off the water any time you are leaving for more than a day or 2, just in case. glad you got it all cleaned up with no damage
    it's time to change the air in my head

Disaster averted
    I guess
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I don't think I ever heard of a toilet tank leaking...Just one more thing for me to worry about......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I always shut off the water anytime that I will be gone overnight or longer.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I always shut off the water anytime that I will be gone overnight or longer.
    Same here.. I know three people that had the hose into the toilet fail while they were away overnight.. one lives over a crawl space with all of the hvac below the leak!

We had a second, easier to reach & easier to use, main shutoff installed.. the original, still working, valve is now behind a work bench .. the new valve is three feet down line and above the workbench..

Note: if you have hot water heat, radiators, be sure to turn off the auto-fill valve or the heat will back feed into the house leak..

And turn gas HWH to vacation , electric to off..

Where the waterpipe comes into the house from the street I have a 90* lever valve. It takes only seconds to shut the water off to the entire house.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

When we leave the cottage the switches for the well pump and the hot water heater are turned off.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    When we leave the cottage the switches for the well pump and the hot water heater are turned off.
    Same here. I'll also drain some water out of the pressure tank and house and then turn off the water valve. Easy no worries.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

I'm getting ready to head to Arizona on Friday, seem the bills outlasted to money so I'm going back to work in trucking for a year or two. I've been turning the water off in the basement when I leave to go south but last year I found I can suspend service for $35.00 and just call and they will turn it back on for the same amount. It saves me about $85.00 a month.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
    huh...my tank cracked about 3 weeks ago, the toilet is a 3 year old peerless. really made me mad. also it is good practice to shut off the water any time you are leaving for more than a day or 2, just in case. glad you got it all cleaned up with no damage
    You went from a Peerless to a pee-less.

Man, the stories I can tell about sewage...

Our house sewer line collapsed 2 months ago. Trust me, it's not a good thing when everything you've flushed away comes back. Wifey and I agreed, it happens again - we move.

I'm glad it worked out, TG.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Kevin made a funny......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    it's time to change the air in my head