Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For Sale

For Sale

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

That is a beautiful house (though I think calling it a cottage is more fitting)- inside and out.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

If it is priced for the area it won't last long.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

That's a cottage? We move in different circles, my friend. To me, that's a damn nice home for someone. Just so you know, I presently have a 2000 sq. ft. cape on 100 acres and half a mile of river frontage and it is appraised at about 20K more than that "cottage".

Good luck with the sale. Someone will be very happy when they buy that place. Though they might question putting radiant heat two inches from your right leg in the bathroom. Please move that roll of toilet paper before turning on the heat. Safety first, y'know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    That's a cottage? We move in different circles, my friend.
    Not mentioned of course were the walk-in meat locker, the screened in bird sanctuary nor the upstairs rifle range...But those are commonplace in that neighborhood, so beneath mention......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

We don't use the term cottage very often to describe a house in the south. Most of the time it is referred to as the lake house, the country place, the cabin, the hunting camp etc. When cottage is used it is generally referring to a very small surviving home built in the 40s or 50s which is now located in a very desirable area and is surrounded by large homes costing many hundreds of thousands of dollars.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I think that's the same in Texas. The only time I remember hearing the word "cottage" is in children's stories, fairy tales and the dairy section at the grocery store. Like Tom said, we use the farm, the lake house, the country place, the cabin, fish camp and hunting camp, and just plain camp. And last, but not least, city folks who have no idea about what a ranch is call their ten acres of desert land "the ranch"!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Wow those taxes are high.

Beautiful place though.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

i work on cottage's all the time up here. most people here use the term for their second home.
    the place looks great dave! that is a nice location.

since covid hit, realestate went through the roof around here, prices just about doubled. way too many people are leaving the big cities and moving up here. traffic on my road has tripled....i've been looking at moving south west to get away from people.

and fred...pa taxes suck!!!
    it's time to change the air in my head

Fred---that is a real bargain.

The taxes at our home of record are a little over $10,000/year. To be fair the assessed value is much higher as well. We get a break on the taxes at the cottage because we are there less than 50% of the time and use very few services. I think it amounts to about 15%. Down here we do get a break on land that is farmed---it is assessed as agricultural.

One I don't understand at all, is that we have a house in Carroll County MD which is the second "richest" county in Md and the taxes are much lower than in PA.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I count myself very lucky. Here in Alabama once you turn 65 your homestead property taxes are waived.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Alaska is the same. I don't know how many others----but none where I have property

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post

One I don't understand at all, is that we have a house in Carroll County MD which is the second "richest" county in Md and the taxes are much lower than in PA.
    IMHO, as I understand it.. Maryland School Boards do not have taxing authority.. and there are often more levels of government in Pennsylvania, TWPS,, towns, villages all stacked up(I like TWPS on the road signs)…

I have done a lot of business in Pennsylvania and New Jersey and yes their taxes are high.. but the schools are nice..

Oh, nice “cottage “.. very nice..

Here is a list of property tax rates by state. Texas comes in at the 45th highest. That's because Texas does not have a state income tax and steals its funds from the property owners and by extension, anyone who purchases any thing, like rent for example, from property owners.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Several years ago Ben and a camping buddy were expounding the no income tax benefits.. the real estate taxes that I saw, Conroe and Katy, took my breath away.. also vehicle registration was shockingly high..

On the other hand.. We pay personal property tax on our vehicles.. not trailers, one time $75.00 plate.. and out income tax is very low..

Taxes average out.. the same type house in the same type neighborhood with the same schools and services will cost close to the same in taxes overall (total, RE, School, sales, income) there are exceptions, PA, NY,NJ have multiple layers of government to pay for..