Thread: New kid on my block

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New kid on my block

A friend of ours who belongs to a local organic farm with a farm-to-table program gave me some peppers---telling my wife that they were very hot---I should be careful. Well---I've heard that before

When I got a look at them I was a bit more humble

They are Ghost Peppers---and yes they are hot but I'd put them only at the top end of the Habanero world. Prior to proceeding with abandon I cut the end from one and popped it into my mouth. There was no denying it was there and I recalled Eric's recent video-----a record I was not willing to record and share

I can't say the flavor is as agreeable (or as pronounced)as that of the Habanero---it seems to be more about the heat than the taste.

Anyway---I chopped the little guy up and tossed in with my morning eggs, along with a diced Jalapeño. It provided a nice level of heat and I still have a lingering feeling of warmth around my lips and inside my mouth

I will try to get some to dry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ghost Pepper.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	338.4 KB 
ID:	39163
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

My Ghost Peppers hybridized with my Carolina Reapers making them really stupid hot. So far my favorite are the Chocolate Habaneros. Up there with the hottest peppers but still retaining that fruity aromatic and flavor of the Habanero
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Man, I feel like we're out of the loop here. All I can do is watch (and I can see how pervy that is).

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I agree on the chocolate habanros. As for the cross pollination, it is very difficult to control. Greater distance helps but bees will inadvertently still carry pollin with them from plant to plant. I never fully avoided that.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

This morning my hot pepper bag is devoid of anything other than one jalapeño and ghost peppers---so I did the only reasonable thing---I added the last jalapeño and two ghost peppers

I didn't notice an objectionable level of heat when I ate but now an hour or so latter I am still "enjoying" a marked sensation of heat inside my mouth and on my lips

I will continue to use these as they are available, but I still prefer the habaneros for their fruity flavor as well as heat.