Thread: The Queen's bees

The Queen's bees

-----have been told

John Chapple, the beekeeper at Buckingham Palace, reportedly informed Queen Elizabeth II’s bees of her death.
    He also placed a black ribbon tied in a bow on each hive.

This is a centuries old tradition, when the owner of the bees passes on---someone must tell the bees. It is said that it is even followed in this country.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	39161
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

What a honey of a tradition......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I read that yesterday. It made me wonder if anyone will tell my bees.....
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Do you have bees Mike?

When I had an orchard my yield was directly related to how many bees were there.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I do have bees, Dave. Many years ago I kept 13 colonies. I ended up selling them and have always regretted it. I now have 2 colonies with the equipment to expand in the spring to seven colonies when bees are available. I will probably stop at about 20 colonies.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Very nice

Do you keep them all in a common area or do you spread them out?

I would have welcomed someone wanting to put some in my orchard. Right now I have buckwheat honey that I got from one of my Amish friends. It is very dark in color and the taste is stronger and less sweet than the common honey sold in grocery stores.

The Boss and our members have impressive hobbies.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead