Thread: Change in plans

Change in plans

We went up to the cottage yesterday to meet with the Real Estate Agent. That will be listed in a few days. We also brought a lot of things home with us but will sell the cottage furnished if we can. I also brought TWO GUNS home which leaves only a pellet gun up there. Both guns are 22's but I feel less "raped" by knowing I will have them around. One is an old bolt action, tubular magazine with peep sites which work perfectly with my old eyes and glasses on The other is a SS, laminated stock with a scope---for more distant work

Now---for the good news---we are not selling this place and moving

When we got back yesterday, at dusk, the field below the barn was full of deer----it was like a welcome home gift

We will continue down sizing and start planning the changes here to make this more "age friendly" but I am much relieved.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Now---for the good news---we are not selling this place and moving
    I thought the cottage was home...I'm easily confused......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Good news, Dave. I feel sure you will be happier staying at your home.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Great news.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

So where is "home" if the cottage is not it......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The "home" compound is where Dave keeps his cool toys. The "cottage" is his country estate where he goes to get away from the drudgery of the compound.

It's kinda like the Queen lived at Buckingham Palace but retreated to Balmoral Castle for R&R.

Is that about right, Dave?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

So what happened in this alleged "downsizing" if both still exist...And does each mansion have its own helipad to shuttle back and forth when he needs a wrench or screwdriver or different tractor from one or the other?......Ben

What's missing are concubines. How can one be a master of his domain without them?

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    So what happened in this alleged "downsizing" if both still exist...And does each mansion have its own helipad to shuttle back and forth when he needs a wrench or screwdriver or different tractor from one or the other?......Ben
    Both are equally equipped. Every time I bought something for the kitchen down here I would buy one for the cottage. Strangely, the cottage is almost a duplicate of this home---just a bit smaller. The layout is the same---even the kitchen cabinets are very close to being the same.

As for concubines---if there were any of them there would be none of me
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The "home" compound is where Dave keeps his cool toys. The "cottage" is his country estate where he goes to get away from the drudgery of the compound.

It's kinda like the Queen lived at Buckingham Palace but retreated to Balmoral Castle for R&R.

Is that about right, Dave?
    Yea---that's about right

I'm feeling a little like a beginner today. I need to work on the modifications to this house and my AutoCAD subscription ran out in April. I am now looking at "Free", lower cost alternatives and renewal. At this point I am leaning toward renewal. I am proficient in AutoCAD and think the time to learn a lower cost alternative is not a reasonable tradeoff. I can get AutoCAD Light for $500 for a year or even $48/month. The next best alternative seems to be Sketchup at $299.00. The free version of Sketchup et al seem to be worth what you pay for them

I might have mentioned this before but over the years since we bought this place (1983) we have made many alterations and additions. I failed to have the foresight 40 years ago to give a moment of thought about steps---as a result our 1st floor is on three different levels. Those steps are now an issue that must be dealt with.

I also need (want) to move the washer and dryer up to the main floor. Along with that, I need to create an ADA compliant "en suite" bathroom for us on the main floor. This will require increasing hall width to comply with ADA. Our existing bath will be converted to a powder room because I need the space I can gain with that conversion. That actually is a good thing since I then will not have to modify the existing bath to meet ADA standards (the door width is only 2-10) and I can grab the space where the current shower is.

My wife is not yet in a wheel chair but I have to allow for that possibility.

I am actually excited about this new project----it solves our age challenges and lets me stay close to my "friends" who we share this place with. It also takes the pressure off of the downsize needs----at least I still have my tractors
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 09-16-2022 at 11:28 AM.

I used Etch A Sketch for years. It's cheap and easily erased when done.

I would look into those home elevators if there's room in your plans. That should if the need arises get you between floors in the future. If you widen the hall I would look at being able to place grab bars along both sides if you think either of you may need support later. ot sure how your kitchen is set up but hopefully space to run a wheel chair around if needed.

We just got back from our annual trip to Vegas, where we alway request an ADA room. Walk-in or roll showers and king toilet are standard as roll under sinks. Don't need all that but it does make one thing about the future.

Good luck on the design.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Thanks Fred. I spent the better part of the afternoon reviewing ADA requirements----I found some that are not as stringent for residential as for commercial but I will likely lean to the high side.

I'm not planning any changes for the kitchen at this point since I do all the cooking. Maybe at some point down the road I will have to make changes but for now I am good with what I have.

Had to throw in concubines, my friends. I was watching Dune again and it's so poignant when Duke Atradies says to his girl, "I should have married you."

ADA is interesting. I've learned a few things about it. One thing I know now is that if you get run over by a truck, Utah gives you a permanent handicap pass.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

We had dinner with friends this evening---they dropped by just as we were sitting down to eat. They all had fresh salad

Fresh salad in Utah means it was trucked in over the past week. We do have fresh fish though. Market Street grill/restaurant flies in fish daily. And, their prices are not extraordinarily high.

Our species has elevated dinner to a prime spot. I'm betting our members can easily remember some of the greatest dinners they've attended. For me, an excellent dinner takes at least three hours. You work through the courses (along with appropriate alcoholic beverages). It has become a highpoint.

Hunter