Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ukrainian counteroffensive

Something else to take from that map - how big the remainder of the job will be to evict the invaders. This is a war with a long way to go.

You know, if anyone had told me Ukraine would be kicking Russia's tail, I would have argued the opposite would happen. I have never been so pleased to be wrong.

Putin has taken on all of the Free World in one of the biggest mistakes of his career. All democracies and all free countries win when Ukraine wins.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

An update on Ukrainian progress---and Russian failures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	39188
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

New escalation from RasPutin, the Mad Russky...
    Russia launched missiles that hit apartment buildings in the southern Ukrainian city of Zaporizhzhia, a local official said Thursday, killing three people and wounding at least 12 in a region that houses Europe’s biggest nuclear power plant and which Moscow illegally annexed.
    I think he is determined to obliterate the parts of mankind which do not agree to his dictatorship...Whoever kills him will be enshrined as a hero......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    The Ukrainians seem to be making progress in the northeast:

Ah. A "planned regroup", not "getting our asses kicked".

In June, 1862, George McClellan got his ass handed to him along the Chickahominy during the Peninsula Campaign. He retreated but refused to use that word, preferring to say he "changed base". The Confederates knew a whupping when they saw it and joked:

Henceforth when a scoundrel is kicked out of doors,
    He need not resent the disgrace,
    But cry: “My dear sir, I’m eternally yours,
    For your kindness in changing my base.”

Let us hope Russia changes base all the way out of Ukraine in the near future.
    A bit of trivia about General McClellan from last night's readings:

On Nov 2, 1862, Mary Todd Lincoln wrote to her husband about the public sentiment against General George B. McClellan's cautious command, saying people "would almost worship you if you would put a fighting general in the place of McClellan". The president followed her advice.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis