Thread: Ukrainian counteroffensive

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ukrainian counteroffensive

The Ukrainians seem to be making progress in the northeast:

In its first response to the gains made by Ukrainian forces in the last few days, the Russian Defense Ministry has said that “the decision was made to regroup Russian troops in the areas of Balakleya and Izyum and redirect their efforts in the Donetsk direction.”

The ministry said in a series of statements Saturday: “The operation to liberate Donbas included a number of diversionary and demonstration actions marking the actual troop activities,” and claimed that Russian forces had “destroyed more than two thousand Ukrainian and foreign combatants, including well over 100 armored vehicles and artillery in three days.”

The ministry said the “Russian Federation’s forces were reduced and redeployed to the DNR [Donetsk People’s Republic] over three days,” and had “opened heavy fire on the enemy in order to prevent incurring losses.”

The ministry did not acknowledge any retreat from Kharkiv, suggesting instead a planned redeployment.

Earlier Saturday, the ministry briefing displayed a map of territorial control in Ukraine showing that Kupiansk and Izium were still in Russian hands. Neither city is any longer held by Russian forces.
    Ah. A "planned regroup", not "getting our asses kicked".

In June, 1862, George McClellan got his ass handed to him along the Chickahominy during the Peninsula Campaign. He retreated but refused to use that word, preferring to say he "changed base". The Confederates knew a whupping when they saw it and joked:

Henceforth when a scoundrel is kicked out of doors,
    He need not resent the disgrace,
    But cry: “My dear sir, I’m eternally yours,
    For your kindness in changing my base.”

Let us hope Russia changes base all the way out of Ukraine in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    All the way to Putin's front door where he can explain why he thought it prudent to waste his nation's lives and resources to gain a legacy of lasting shame......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I have been reading of the Ukrainian advances with guarded optimism---and offering lots of prayers.

As for General McClellan----I have little good to say about the gentleman. He is credited to being the designer of the standard issue cavalry saddle---appropriately named the McClellan saddle. It was a hateful device for both man and beast, made of a wooden frame with leather stretched over it. At least the "beast" got a blanket to mitigate the pain

As a kid they were surplus most everywhere and cost but a few dollars

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	39149

Eventually, I advanced to a forward seat saddle but my butt and legs will always remember the insults of the torture that cursed device brought to me. Had I been in the cavalry and forced to sit on that day after day, I would have been working on a transfer to the infantry---for surely they were something to make walking a pleasure
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Advances by the Ukrainian forces from today's NYT:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	39150
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Reports now indicate Putin is under strong political pressure in Russia. It reminds me of how our government officials were pressured over Vietnam.

I still remember seeing a photo of LBJ which showed him listening to his Son In Law who was in Vietnam. It is a photo of a man in despair and emotional pain.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

My reading does not indicate that Putin is under pressure at home. After initial unrest things have settled down to the point that in Moscow the war is being ignored.
    Who knows where reality lies.

Added in edit:

Regarding Putin's health, I have to question those stories. He recently was at an event in Vladivostok on the east coast----nearly 6,000 miles from Moscow.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 09-11-2022 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    The Ukrainians seem to be making progress in the northeast:

Ah. A "planned regroup", not "getting our asses kicked".

In June, 1862, George McClellan got his ass handed to him along the Chickahominy during the Peninsula Campaign. He retreated but refused to use that word, preferring to say he "changed base". The Confederates knew a whupping when they saw it and joked:

Henceforth when a scoundrel is kicked out of doors,
    He need not resent the disgrace,
    But cry: “My dear sir, I’m eternally yours,
    For your kindness in changing my base.”

A bit of trivia about General McClellan from last night's readings:

On Nov 2, 1862, Mary Todd Lincoln wrote to her husband about the public sentiment against General George B. McClellan's cautious command, saying people "would almost worship you if you would put a fighting general in the place of McClellan". The president followed her advice.