Thread: Tragedy in the tobacco field

Tragedy in the tobacco field

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Oh, damn what a tragedy!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

They do not need to punish him further. He will live with that death for the rest of his life.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

A sad occurrence any way you can look at it...I'm curious why he had custody of the child that day...The article doesn't mention any kinship...Who were the child's parents?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

First----I am in full agreement with Hunter.

Ben, I think they are trying to prevent the child's name from getting out---why I don't know. I have to assume there was a relationship between the two, parent or sibling---either are possible.

The cart that they are talking about has become common in the past 30 years or so. Machines that are self powered by their own wheels are simply no longer made. The same is true for mounted engines on the equipment---they are no longer made. Everything has gone to PTO driven and these carts allow that equipment to be used. There are two primary versions of these carts, with and without an engine. Think in terms of a Roman chariot---at least in concept. Most have a seat, many do not. The cart is a place where the driver can stand or sit and the "tool" is pulled behind. The advantage in an application like pulling a wagon is that the driver does not have to get on and off the wagon. He can mount and dismount the cart with one step up or down. In PTO applications they have an engine mounted on the cart with a 540 RPM PTO (or some have 1000 RPM PTOs) and they can pull and power equipment like balers.

The local bishops weren't happy about this change but the traditional equipment was just no longer available. It is not unusual to see teams of 6-8 horses and/or mules---hitched abreast or 2x4. Running a hitch of 8 animals in a 2 wide hitch is impractical for farming because it takes too much room at the end of the field to turn the team---the crop would get trampled. That space at the end of a field is called a headland.

IMHO this was a horrible tragic accident----the law has no place in this. I hope the DA dismisses this.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 11-05-2022 at 06:49 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Thanks for the explanation on this, Dave...I can only imagine the grief......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    ...I can only imagine the grief......Ben
    Exactly

Interesting side note on the disappearance of traditional tools, Dave. When I was young, there were plenty of tools still in use from the early part of the century. Time marches on.

This is a transition that has happened completely in my life time. Before the introduction of these "fore carts" The Amish would be at every farm auction trying to buy any and all machinery that was adaptable to horse and mule power.

They do have another version of this which is rather ingenious (not a rare trait in the Amish). The axle in the fore cart is an automobile's rear axle (from RWD). Commonly they will shorten the tread width but not always. They bolt a "V" belt pulley on the yoke (or input shaft) and drive an output shaft for a PTO above which is also outfitted with a belt pulley. That allows low power (hay rake, mowing machine) implements to be powered via the PTO without the use of an engine.

I'm old enough to remember when Dodge Power Wagons came with a PTO.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead