Thread: FLA and the latest storm and Challenger debris

FLA and the latest storm and Challenger debris

Should the Government spend millions and millpns of dollars replacing the beach. Seems mother nature has a way of taking back property and while it's great to say we used to walk or drive on sandy beaches years ago should we replace them?

Other news seems divers found pieces of the Challenger.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

No to beach reconstruction. Losing proposition for something that benefits rich people who can afford to live any goddamn place they want so why ask me to pay for their view?

I agree that privately owned beaches should not receive public funds.

I can't speak for elsewhere, but yes, Texas beaches should be maintained and restored.

Beaches in Texas are public property and the public has the right to use and access the beaches freely. Consider them to be a very long state park and then it is easier to accept public maintenance of the beaches no different than other parks. I don't use them with the exception of a rare fishing trip, but millions of others do use the beaches.

Land inland from the mean high tide can be privately owned but the owners must allow access to the beach. "The public... shall have the free and unrestricted right of ingress and egress to and from the state-owned beaches bordering on the seaward shore of the Gulf of Mexico ... extending from the line of mean low tide to the line of vegetation bordering on the Gulf of Mexico."

When storms and erosion shift the location of beaches inland, the ownership of the land also shifts to the state of Texas.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I believe NJ and NY are similar to TX in many ways. Especially in NJ beach reconstruction is an ongoing activity for a number of reasons and the primary one has little to do with rich people's homes---it has to do with the fact that the beaches are profit centers, both directly and indirectly. Directly through "beach tags" sold by municipalities and indirectly by all the businesses that are dependent on beach goers for their livelihoods.

Almost all beach towns are "part time". Go down in January and you could roll a bowling ball down the main street and never hit a thing. Their entire economy hinges on the summer beach crowd.

Another secondary "need" is that much of NJ and Long Island are protected by barrier islands. If those beaches are not restored they endanger not only the islands but the mainland they protect. Sandy cut Fire Island (a barrier island) in three pieces. That has not been restored and I am not sure of the future plans.

Few things are all good or all bad and maintaining public beaches are one of those things.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

It seems the divers were involved in filming a special for I think it was the History channel but one of those kind of channels regarding the Bermuda triangle. They simply stumbled upon it. I'm looking forward to watching it when it comes out. NASA has already obviously stated that they want to recover the artifact and to do something with it to honor the astronauts who were killed that day.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    No to beach reconstruction. Losing proposition for something that benefits rich people who can afford to live any goddamn place they want so why ask me to pay for their view?
    Mother Nature will “Re-groom “ t the new beach for public use as per Texas law (Virginia and North Carolina are similar to Texas)..

New Jersey doesn’t have open beach access.. Most New Jersey towns charge for beach access and severely restrict access in neighborhoods.. (Virginia and North Carolina have access every few houses but restrict on street parking thus limiting access (same in California))

My wife and I got "Karened" one time at the beach. We were walking along and probably where a mile or so from our place and a group of dolphins began rampaging a school of fish. So we stopped and sat down and just were enjoying the nature of it all. Suddenly and without warning this lady came running out telling us to get off the beach that it's private property. I took that moment to educate her on what the law was and that it was not private property to which she shot me the bird, told me to go to hell and stomped off.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

"NASA astronauts Francis “Dick” Scobee, Michael Smith, Ronald McNair, Ellison Onizuka, Judith Resnik and Gregory Jarvis as well as Christa McAuliffe..."
    - CNN

We honor them by remembering them as part of our shared history.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead