Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As the world turns

As the world turns

This morning was CHILLY----a much welcomed relief from a string of 90+ days with depressing humidity. July was the hottest on record by about 3 deg F.

However, this isn't about weather---it is about the comings and goings in my hood

The deer herd broke up on schedule in late April and have not frequented the field below the barn since---even as individuals. I'd see only a few on a few days of each week. Mostly they moved individually to the soybeans. They seem to prefer the soybeans over the corn---I think! The reason I say I think is that they could be in the corn and I don't see them. They also have been absent of fawns until recently--which is normal when they are in a field and easily seen. They "park" the fawns in heavy cover.

When the fawns are young they also tend to be more nocturnal.

Now---habits are turning again and they are returning to the grass field below the barn---and they are bringing their fawns with them. Still no reforming of the herd but that will come. The fawns are feeding on the grass right along with moms.

Anyway---I am excited by getting my friends back and being introduced to their new families

Just a word about "parking": I used to have a wild flower patch that I planted in a hard to get to place along the woods that I decided I didn't need to mow. Often, as I passed by that patch on the tractor I would see fawns---absolutely motionless lying in the flowers. Eventually I learned the reason for that! They were placed there because the smell of the flowers would help mask any scent from the fawns (they are without a scent when born but that fades with time). I wished I could have gotten pictures but I was always concerned with spooking them from their cover.

Life is good in the hood
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

We had a grove of trees right between the Athlete's Village and Research Park during the 2002 Olympics. It was one of the few places deer were safe in SLC that Winter. Law Enforcement personnel kept outsiders away from it to protect the deer.

The Olympics had some good moments. What I described above was one of them.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Three days ago I put out a corn feeder about 120' from my bedroom window near the pond where the Canadian Geese hang out. This evening I had 3 does and one fawn at the feeder.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Three days ago I put out a corn feeder about 120' from my bedroom window near the pond where the Canadian Geese hang out. This evening I had 3 does and one fawn at the feeder.
    Nice

Don't the geese get after the corn?

I should have mentioned that the hummers are spending extra time and visits to the feeders in preparation for their southern run
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

We don't get fawns until the fall. When they are abundant I will start feeding again to help the does along.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

The fawns are all born in the spring. They are there you just are not seeing them.

The geese have their own feeding spot on the other side of the pond. They get corn chops there. They haven't found the deer feeder, yet. I'm sure they will.

Funny thing yesterday, two steers were laying down at the edge of the pond trying to cool down. The geese came over and layed down right beside them like they were best friends.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Our cows commonly would wade into the ponds trying to cool off---which put the damper on our swimming for a couple of days

My brother and I would often go swimming a couple of times a day---between loads of hay or grain. We would stop on the way to the barns or going back to the fields. One of the worst things about very hot days was that "stuff" would stick to our skin and we never wore shirts. The two worst generators of "stuff" were combining and baling. The chafe would get airborne out of the combine and settle all over us since we were often riding on the bagging floor of the combine. Baling was not as bad but still showered us with fugitive dust and pieces.

We had ponds at each farm, primarily for fire protection. They were also our swimming holes. One day, at a farm where one of the hiredmen and his family lived, my brother and I both took a quick dip on the way to the barn with a load of hay. The hiredmen's daughters played a joke on us and ran off with our cloths
    We only got rescued because we didn't get back with an empty wagon----my father thought it rather funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    The fawns are all born in the spring. They are there you just are not seeing them.
    No not in Alabama.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    No not in Alabama.
    And not in Texas. Texas Parks and Wildlife says most fawns are born between the end of May and the first part of July. Give or take depending on what part of Texas you are in.

Ours are even later than yours, some fawns in Alabama are born late July but most of them are born in August hence my statement I don't get to see them until fall.

That is new to me. I have to assume, due to your mild winters, there is no need to gain body mass before winter arrives.

In PA:

The peak of fawning season for adult does (>1 year old) is May 30 with 90% giving birth from May 12th to June 27th.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    That is new to me. I have to assume, due to your mild winters, there is no need to gain body mass before winter arrives.

In PA:
    I was surprised to find the dates vary by regions in Texas. I guess it has something to do with temperature.

I would assume so. I have read that the rut is brought on by the length of day as well as temperature and can vary by a couple of weeks year to year.

Same thing with the rut which doesn't start in Alabama until late January and February.