Thread: Turn and Burn...

Turn and Burn...

DailyDieselDose never disappoints in his high quality video productions...This one, from the 2022 ATCA show in Dave's neck of the woods, is no exception...Naturally being in Pennsylvania there is a preponderance of Macks. many with unmuffled Detroit power......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

That is a great show---thank you for posting this.

A little bit about Mack---their assembly plant (1,000,000 sq ft) is about a mile away.

At one point Mack was bought by Renault. The immediate saying in the industry was that the Mack bulldog emblem was going to be replaced by a French Poodle named Fifi

To give you an idea of how close that is to me, Monday I had an appointment with my Dermatologist who's office is in Macungie and then ate breakfast at the dinner in the background.

Macungie is an Indian word (Lenape) meaning bear swamp.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Those antique trucks are beyond cool. Our generation may be one of the last to see them still out on the road.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Monday I had an appointment with my Dermatologist who's office is in Macungie and then ate breakfast at the dinner in the background.
    You likely got to see quite a show from the diner watching the exhibitors headed home......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

That show is in June---this year it was the 17th and 18th.
    To get a better appreciation for the size of the show----that video was only of the trucks heading north toward I-78 and there is another option to head north as well. They might have done even better if they had recorded the ones going south---that is up a 6% grade for 1.5 miles.

My neighbor takes a "fleet" to that show. If you go to that page there is a large collection of photos---every building you see on there is behind his house. He has one mechanic that does nothing but maintain and restore all the machinery--much of which has been retired from his construction company.

I have to bring this one up just to get Mike's attention:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	383.5 KB 
ID:	39075

He hosts a number of events each year which include a car show, a summer picnic (he had Willy Nelson one year for entertainment) and the winter logging event. The summer picnic is for customers.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I'm pretty sure that DailyDieselDose is a one man show, similar to Truckman Productions...He has many more videos of that show, and I'm sure I've seen the other exit you mentioned in past videos...Facebook allows me to see your neighbor, so I'll revisit it......Ben

......I have to bring this one up just to get Mike's attention:

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	383.5 KB 
ID:	39075
    That butt-ugly thing is not a Texas Longhorn. I suspect it is a Watusi.

Name:	Longhorn.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	39076
    Texas Longhorn
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I believe you are correct----I don't know of anything else that has that much mass in their horns. I posted that because it lives in my hood

Hmmm... I'd never seen the Watusi dance, until now. It popped up along with a long-horned bull.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

That show is in June---this year it was the 17th and 18th.
    They picked a beautiful weekend for it last year...And as a bonus my favorite truck of all time, Ugly, makes an appearance at 3:15...The old Cat was just airing its lungs out......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    They picked a beautiful weekend for it last year...And as a bonus my favorite truck of all time, Ugly, makes an appearance at 3:15...The old Cat was just airing its lungs out......Ben

An Oskosh by gosh

An Oskosh by gosh
    In replaying this I noticed Ugly did not wear its nameplate which it usually displays proudly on the front bumper...However this older video from another ATCA show in Macungie does show it...Ugly is not a truck I would want to be in on a long haul over a washboard road at its top speed of about 45 MPH, but if I needed something pulled out of a trouble spot, this would be the one for the job...I remember reading an interview with one of its former owners, operator of a HD truck garage in NYC, that Ugly was specced as a winch truck when he bought it used, although Oshkosh was said to have built it to order in 1971 as a cement mixer platform for a NYC construction company with its 250 HP Cat 1673 engine and a triple frame right from the factory...I have alternatively heard it was used at one time for heavy refuse disposal...

The interview I read talked of its several winches including twin 30,000 pound boom winches, side pullers and a 100,000 pound drag winch...Once hooked onto the hapless victim with its feet firmly planted, the owner said it was either coming out or it would be pulled apart in two pieces...He said he had never come away from a recovery empty-handed with Ugly...All I know is it's been a favorite of mine for many years with that face only a mother could love......Ben

I have seen that truck at the show and I have to share---in full confidence---I think that is one sexy truck

The Mack wrecker, which is right after the Oshkosh, is owned by my neighbor that I mentioned recently in one of these threads. He goes to that show with a fleet of trucks. Here is his house, you can get a glimpse of the buildings behind the house that house all of his toys.

And here is another one Ben: the fancy, the demure and the ugly.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 08-15-2022 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks for the link, Dave...I've seen a lot of those, but not all...I'll confess a strange affinity toward the FC Jeeps, and the Labatt's beer trucks too......Ben

I thought the FC Jeeps were the cats nuts when they came out. They had some really cool TV ads and I always tried to talk my Father into buying one-----we needed it but he never bit