Thread: Salman Rushdie on Ventilator Hours After Being Stabbed in Western New York

Salman Rushdie on Ventilator Hours After Being Stabbed in Western New York

“The news is not good,” the author’s agent, Andrew Wylie, said in an emailed update. He said Mr. Rushdie might lose an eye and his liver had been damaged. The celebrated author, who has long faced death threats, was stabbed in the neck and abdomen by a 24-year old New Jersey man. A motive was unclear.
    From this evening's NYT.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    From this evening's NYT.
    the Liver will heal. The eye nope
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

A motive was unclear.
    Who needs a motive these days?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

It's been many years since I've heard his name. It'll be interesting to see if it's due to the fatwa.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

The guy who stabbed him has a middle eastern name. I think you can figure out the motive pretty easily.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Didn't he write a book or something that pissed off all the people of Middle Eastern or Muslim descent? I've never really followed this story it didn't seem to interesting.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I've been to the Chautauqua Institute. It started as a place to prepare religious teachers, Sunday school folks, that sort of thing. These days, it hosts a yearly series of lectures and hands-on events during the summer. It is a great vacation to learn new things.

Those of us of a more fundamentalist persuasion might recall revival meetings being called Chautauquas. Chautauquas were held on a circuit through out the country and had all sorts of educational and musical and whatnot things going on. Lots of camp meeting preachers got their starts at Chautauquas.

The area is also know for its wineries. Some good blushes and roses are made from the grapes in the area.

Just a backgrounder on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Didn't he write a book or something that pissed off all the people of Middle Eastern or Muslim descent? I've never really followed this story it didn't seem to interesting.

The Satanic Verses.

I read this when it came out as I was studying Iranian history. It was a crap book, but controversial in that it suggested that the Quran was altered from the message of Muhammed by one of the transcribers who doubted the authenticity of Muhammed as a messenger of God.

Hard to follow and very heavy on the cerebral stuff. In fiction, I'm more of a Grisham fan.

Is there still a bounty on his head?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I'm more of a Grisham fan.

Me too....