Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The FBI has raided Mar-A-Lago

The NYT is reporting that investigators served a subpoena to get the documents back in June but did not get full cooperation. I'm glad that they tried a lower key approach first before going nuclear.

And apparently, it isn't just a case of mishandling paper.

Two people briefed on the classified documents that investigators believe remained at Mar-a-Lago indicated that they were so sensitive in nature, and related to national security, that the Justice Department had to act.
    So it was what was on the paper that was the problem, not the paper itself. This is moving away from "get Trump" and more towards something in response to his reckless disregard for anything approaching normal behavior.

I posted this Newsweek article link in a different thread. It is very informative and says a confidential informant told of the documents and their locations. Looks like Trump has a mole in his circle.

Aaand, just a passing thought, what if Trump in his current state of near bankruptcy held documents of major value to foreign interests? Could he be turned in his time of need???
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Apples and Oranges..

The violence and law breaking that occurred during civil unrest that has been labeled as BLM violence should be prosecuted, fully prosecuted by local law enforcement.. The civil unrest that has been labeled BLM should not be equated to the insurgents action on January 6 at the US Capital, the insurgents should be fullyprosecuted .

The civil unrest label BLM had become a diversion issue used to attempt to offset and/or detract from the January 6 insurgents.. two separate issues.. one local, one federal… both need to be dealt with..
    I was not trying to make any comparison to January 6th, I was making a statement about civil unrest in this country.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

From Mike's article:

On Monday at about 9 a.m. EDT, two dozen FBI agents and technicians showed up at Donald Trump's Florida home to execute a search warrant to obtain any government-owned documents that might be in the possession of Trump but are required to be delivered to the Archives under the provisions of the 1978 Presidential Records Act. (In response to the Hillary Clinton email scandal, Trump himself signed a law in 2018 that made it a felony to remove and retain classified documents.)

The act establishes that presidential records are the property of the U.S. government and not a president's private property. Put in place after Watergate to avoid the abuses of the Nixon administration, the law imposes strict penalties for failure to comply. "Whoever, having the custody of any such record, proceeding, map, book, document, paper, or other thing, willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, falsifies, or destroys the same, shall be fined" $2,000, up to three years in prison or "shall forfeit his office and be disqualified from holding any office under the United States."

OK, this is TOO FUNNY!! Trump himself signs a new law then promptly breaks it himself. Hoist with his own petard!!!

From The Times:

Some senior Republicans have been warned by allies of Mr. Trump not to continue to be aggressive in criticizing the Justice Department and the F.B.I. over the matter because it is possible that more damaging information related to the search will become public.
    I've noticed the B team is out doing the outrage dance, but not the movers and shakers.

And an armed gunman in body armor tried to breach an FBI office in Ohio. He was unsuccessful and fled. He is now in a shots fired standoff with law enforcement. So it starts

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/11/us/ci...ect/index.html
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

According to various news outlets Merrick Garland is about to have a presser regarding the raid.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Well, the press conference was pretty much a waste of time. The main thing I learned was that Garland personally approved the application for a search warrant. He also said they have asked the court to unseal at least some of the search documents.

Back to our regularly scheduled brou ha ha........

Well actually I don't blame them for being excruciatingly careful with anything they release. When you're trying to make a case against the former president of the United States you better do it with all the Care possible.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Wouldn't surprise me if they hit Trump Tower next.

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    And an armed gunman in body armor tried to breach an FBI office in Ohio. He was unsuccessful and fled. He is now in a shots fired standoff with law enforcement. So it starts
    He's dead now...I suppose there'll be a call to require background checks at Lowe's and Home Depot soon...
    An alarm went off and FBI special agents responded when the man fired a nail gun at law enforcement personnel, sources tell NBC.
    He later switched to an AR-15......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    He's dead now...I suppose there'll be a call to require background checks at Lowe's and Home Depot soon...He later switched to an AR-15......Ben
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

And his name was Ricky Walter Shiffer, known to Law Enforcement and was at the US Capital on Jan 6th

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    And his name was Ricky Walter Shiffer, known to Law Enforcement and was at the US Capital on Jan 6th
    The gene pool is slightly less murky now......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Have to laugh at some supporters for police but have no respect for the FBI from a certain segment of society.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

I'm fine with some thinking the FBI is wrong. But, when people plan and try to kill FBI personnel, we've got a problem.

Our Law Enforcement and Justice System staff need to be watching their backs in case other people, like the FBI shooter, attack them. I hope any family that loses a member to attackers goes after those egging them onward. I don't care if they're an ex-President. If you incite people to kill other people, our local and national systems need to respond and hold people accountable.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead