Thread: Gumbo!

Gumbo!

I do NOT want a Gumbo recipe from the New York Times.

I want a Gumbo recipe from an old woman named Mawmaw Thibodeaux-Landry, who can bare-knuckle box an alligator while reciting the Holy Rosary in Cajun French.

(shamelessly stolen from elsewhere)
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I do NOT want a Gumbo recipe from the New York Times.

I want a Gumbo recipe from an old woman named Mawmaw Thibodeaux-Landry, who can bare-knuckle box an alligator while reciting the Holy Rosary in Cajun French.

(shamelessly stolen from elsewhere)
    Ah---but be careful of who you may unfairly malign.

First, I'm not certain that the lovely Mammaw Thidobeaux-Landry has any claim to gumbo fame---but she is an interesting character:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	39065

(Mammaw is on the right)

As to recipes for gumbo from the NYT----I have a total of nine gumbo recipes, four of which have been taken from the Times. Of those four, two are from Paul Prudhomme and one each from Matt and Ted Lee and Jacques Pepin.

I will rely on their credentials and consider their inclusion in the NYT of no demeaning consequence

If truly in search of a recipe for real creole gumbo---just let me know and I promise not to tell you where it came from

After note: Getting serious for a moment---gumbo is one of those great comfort foods that can accommodate most anything in the refrigerator or on the shelf. As long as you have the basics the rest is just "toppings"
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 08-07-2022 at 02:31 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Down, Dave! It was a joke! I had no idea Mawmaw was a real person.

I have a great Gumbo recipe that came from a real Coonass who speaks Cajun French as good as you speak English. She got it from her mother who spoke Cajun French almost exclusively.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Down, Dave! It was a joke! I had no idea Mawmaw was a real person.

I have a great Gumbo recipe that came from a real Coonass who speaks Cajun French as good as you speak English. She got it from her mother who spoke Cajun French almost exclusively.
    I knew that it was in humor---I just couldn't pass up a chance to have a little fun on the back end!

Mammaw is Cajun speak for grandmother.

You can' stop with only one gumbo recipe----my goodness---all the options for seafood gumbo, crab gumbo, scallops gumbo, chicken gumbo, crawfish gumbo, sausage gumbo-----and then there is creole gumbo with a tomato base
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

One base recipe is good for me. I can substitute the meat/fish as needed to make what I'm after. I avoid anything tomato based. It reeks havoc on my gut.

I've put in a request to one of my kin folks in New Orleans who has been there all his life to see if he's got something local. Everything he's ever cooked has been fabulous.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Gonna be awfully bland, no Cajun seasoning or even several of the ingredients of Cajun seasoning.

Like mine with Shrimp... I'm allergic to mussels Love them tho..

Gonna be awfully bland, no Cajun seasoning or even several of the ingredients of Cajun seasoning.
    Yeah those people down there generally never tell you exactly what they use.

The best gumbo I've ever had is that the bright star restaurant in Bessemer Alabama. Bar none. But the recipe is a closely guarded secret and I researched and could not find anything on it.

Acme on Bourbon Street