Thread: States With The Most NFA Weapons

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

States With The Most NFA Weapons

I guess this is pretty useless information, but I find it interesting. Keep in mind that there is no firearms registration under federal law, and most states, including Texas, do not have any sort of firearms registration. The registered weapons in this article are registered under the National Firearms Act of 1934 which banned many weapons and devices, such as machine guns, unless registered with the federal government.

In 1934, the National Firearms Act was signed into law by President Franklin Roosevelt. Among its provisions, the law stipulated that certain types of firearms need to be registered with the Secretary of the Treasury, and that owners of those firearms were subject to a $200 tax – equal to nearly $4,500 today. The types of weapons covered by the law, such as machine guns and short-barreled shotguns, were largely associated with organized crime during the Prohibition Era, and the NFA was designed to curtail their use. (Here is a look at the guns used most to commit crimes in America.)

Over the nearly 90 years since the law’s passage, some significant changes have been made – including a 1986 provision banning the transfer of possession of machine guns not grandfathered in. Otherwise, Americans seeking to own NFA weapons must first receive official approval after completing a registration application and submitting a fingerprint card and the $200 tax payment – which has never been updated to adjust for inflation.

Weapons registered under the NFA fall into one of six categories: machine guns, silencers or supressors, short-barreled rifles, short-barreled shotguns, destructive devices such as bombs or grenades, and “any other weapon,” which is a catch-all classification that includes certain firearms that can be concealed in items such as pens or walking canes.

Using data from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 24/7 Wall St. identified the states with the most weapons registered under the NFA. States are ranked by the number of registered weapons adjusted for population.
    The Rest of the Story
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

The state named as having the most NFA registered items per capita doesn't surprise me as much as the overwhelming numbered increase over the 2nd state on the list......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I was surprised at how few were in Texas.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I've never owned one......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

"Weapons registered under the NFA fall into one of six categories: machine guns, silencers or supressors, short-barreled rifles, short-barreled shotguns, destructive devices such as bombs or grenades, and “any other weapon,” which is a catch-all classification that includes certain firearms that can be concealed in items such as pens or walking canes."

If I recall, there are some double-barreled shotgun pistols out there. I'm assuming they're technically different from a regular shotgun.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead