Thread: Let us not forget

Let us not forget

From "Foreign Affairs":

On August 6, 1945, 77 years ago today, the United States dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan. A second detonation in Nagasaki followed three days later; to date, the two attacks represent the only time nuclear weapons have been used in war.

As the U.S.-Soviet nuclear arms race gained steam in the years that followed, recognition of these weapons’ capacity for destruction prompted efforts to minimize the risk of nuclear war. The voices calling for arms control and disarmament in the pages of Foreign Affairs included the physicists who were the key architects of the U.S. and Soviet nuclear programs: J. Robert Oppenheimer and Andrei Sakharov.

Writing in 1953, as “the atomic clock [ticked] faster and faster,” Oppenheimer urged more transparency about the status of nuclear stockpiles, stronger defenses against an attack, and better plans for international regulation. Three decades later, in 1983, Sakharov acknowledged the difficulty of disarmament “in a world poisoned with fear and mistrust,” but warned that even a limited nuclear strike risked spiraling into “a calamity of indescribable proportions.” Despite several close calls, the United States and the Soviet Union made it through the Cold War without testing that prediction. Today, with tensions between Washington and Moscow at their highest pitch in decades, Sakharov’s closing plea—that the world “realize the absolute inadmissibility of nuclear war”—serves as an apt warning once again.

— Daniel Kurtz-Phelan, Editor
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

We're going to blow it up, it is only a matter of time before some nuclear country at the brink of defeat pops the first nuke in the world's last dance. It could easily be Putin if he sees defeat in Ukraine as being the end of his version of Russia. At least no one will have to worry about their student loans any longer.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Russia will have a military coup before that happens. There are still sane people in Russia, they are just lying low.

I was contemplating the loss of lives to save even more lives. Colonel Tibbets, piloting the Enola Gay did so many times. As he was, I am convinced he did the right thing.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead