Thread: 6500 Migrants arrived from Texas..

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..

6500 Migrants arrived from Texas..

This is local news here..

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/05/polit...nts/index.html
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/05/polit...nts/index.html

I don’t get it.. Texas is sending bus loads of migrants, 6500 so far, to the District of Columbia.. not to the Congress or the President but to the City of Washington DC.

So far local charities have been buying bus tickets for those that have a target destination beyond DC..

I think they should send as many as they can to share the burden that they have on their state anywhere they can send them where they'll be taken care of. DC and New York sounds real good to me.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Less a reaction to financial burden and more a stunt to make a political point, using human beings as pawns. But hey, they are illegals, so it is OK to revile them, right Gov. Abbott? Like criminals, in a way. That's another population it is popular to beat on because hey, who's gonna stick up for a no good felon? So these migrants become cannon fodder for politics. Who cares?

I'm actually against shipping them around like cattle, Kevin. Like you say, it is nothing more than a political stunt. It is also using funds and resources that are badly needed elsewhere in Texas. If the feds would just do something about the border maybe our little tyrant of a governor would find something actually worthwhile to do. Maybe he could even get serious about This Crime Against Our Children
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Here I can agree with you, Mike. The border is a real problem and while Abbott does this crap, Democrats are busily using these same migrants as political pawns in THEIR games. This is a true "both sides" issue where neither political party actually cares about the people involved. Makes you really wonder if it is in anyone's interest to come with a solution.

And the same could be said for abortion, to veer totally off into the weeds. The two parties are more interested in getting votes than trying to solve anything. I read where this one priest was focusing on pre-birth health care, child care, a host of things to help expectant mothers and he was having success in actions designed to make it easier for a mother to keep her baby. About all he got for his trouble was disdain from both pro and anti abortionists.

What a time we live in...

I say it's only fair to spread the joy of having the new undocumented immigrants. There's no reason the border states should have to shoulder a huge amount of the responsibility alone. Has nothing to do with politics and has to do with equity among the states for the choices being made by the administration.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

There is no reason any state should be burdened with illegals. All it takes is for the federal government to do its job.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    There is no reason any state should be burdened with illegals. All it takes is for the federal government to do its job.
    Agreed but that's not what's happening. But it's easy for them to take a Target at Texas instead of looking at the widespread result of of their misguided policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    . All it takes is for the federal government to do its job.

Do you expect that to happen

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Do you expect that to happen
    Of course not! Our government is disfunctional at pretty much all levels.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Washington DC is a city with a population less than Austin TX.. it has no State or County for support.. the city limits are state lines..

The Federal Government is headquartered within the city like a corporation would be headquartered in any other city..

The bus loads of migrants are not reaching their target audience..

IE: A protest in Houston against Exxon Mobile hurts the City of Houston.. Exxon Mobil doesn’t care..

Tired of the term illegal(s).

Sure if they crossed the border and never checked in they are illegal, but most are either refugees or asylum seekers if they checked in and started their paperwork. How long and who determines which is which is up to the government and it's processes.

I still maintain that if you check them, fingerprint and issue SS cards at the processing center this will go a lot smoother. But hey we all turn a blind eye at the worker doing the chit jobs at food processing centers or home building, golf resorts, etc... where they stay largely out of site until the once in a while the gov shows up and cracks down. Then the process starts all over again.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Tired of the term illegal(s).

Sure if they crossed the border and never checked in they are illegal, but most are either refugees or asylum seekers if they checked in and started their paperwork. How long and who determines which is which is up to the government and it's processes.

I still maintain that if you check them, fingerprint and issue SS cards at the processing center this will go a lot smoother. But hey we all turn a blind eye at the worker doing the chit jobs at food processing centers or home building, golf resorts, etc... where they stay largely out of site until the once in a while the gov shows up and cracks down. Then the process starts all over again.
    Legal immigrants are not the problem, I welcome them. Illegal immigrants are a huge problem that the federal government is for the most part ignoring.

Just a guess but if you leave them alone they will just keep moving north looking for family and work, just my guess.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson