The Kansas primary this week, that saw a ballot question asking if abortion rights should be removed from the state constitution was rejected---pro-choice advocates rejoiced. Independent of that outcome, I see something else that causes me to rejoice-----independent voters.

The turnout was similar to presidential elections and multiples of normal primary elections. It also saw 100,000 independent voters turn out for only one reason, to vote on the question. Kansas is a closed primary state.

I am encouraged by:

1. The overall turnout
2. The turnout of independent voters----we can make a difference

The vote was not immune from what has become a rino trademark---skullduggery.

A text message sent to some Kansas voters Monday is being called misleading and an outright lie.

The message urges people to vote yes on the so-called Value Them Both Amendment. The amendment would make clear the Kansas constitution does not grant the right to an abortion.

The message states, “Women in KS are losing their choice on reproductive rights. Voting YES on the Amendment will give women a choice. Vote YES to protect women’s health.”

Those arguments, however, are points raised from those urging a ‘no’ vote.

“This is yet another example of the desperate and deceitful tactics of the Value Them Both campaign, lying to the voters of Kansas,” said Ashley All, spokesperson for Kansans for Constitutional Freedom. “The truth is that voting yes opens the door to a total ban on abortion. A NO vote maintains current regulations on abortion. A NO vote protects our constitutional right to safe, legal abortion in Kansas. A NO vote keeps the constitution unchanged. A NO vote prevents government control over private medical decisions.”
I hope this is a positive indicator of the power of independent voters